Man missing in possible shark attack near Ft. Bragg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Abalone diver from Auburn tells of 'big fish' swimming near friend, blood in water
Monday, August 16, 2004

By KATY HILLENMEYER
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

A 50-year-old abalone diver from Auburn, possibly the victim of a shark attack, remained missing late Sunday after disappearing in the ocean near Kibesillah Rock, a Mendocino County Sheriff's Office spokesman said.

the article

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040816/NEWS/408160316/1033/NEWS01

dlndavid:
Man missing in possible shark attack near Ft. Bragg

Abalone diver from Auburn tells of 'big fish' swimming near friend, blood in water

Monday, August 16, 2004

By KATY HILLENMEYER
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

A 50-year-old abalone diver from Auburn, possibly the victim of a shark attack, remained missing late Sunday after disappearing in the ocean near Kibesillah Rock, a Mendocino County Sheriff's Office spokesman said.

"It's not confirmed it's a shark, but I don't know what else would do this kind of thing," sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Bushnell said after the 4 p.m. incident, which occurred south of Westport and north of Fort Bragg.

The missing man, Randall G. Fry, had just surfaced for air with a diving partner and the two Auburn men were preparing to dive again when Fry's companion saw "a big fish surface up between them," Bushnell said. "There was some blood in the water after the incident."

A third unidentified Auburn man waited nearby aboard their 28-foot fishing boat, which had ventured about 100 yards off shore north of Ten Mile River Beach, sheriff's and Coast Guard spokesmen said. Fry disappeared in relatively shallow water, about 15 feet deep, Bushnell estimated.

The uninjured diver swam back to the fishing boat and radioed the Coast Guard immediately, police said.

A widespread air and sea search began for Fry, involving three helicopters, two Coast Guard vessels and other responders. But the search was called off at nightfall, with searchers expected to resume at 8 a.m. this morning.

Personnel from the Westport Fire Department, California Department of Forestry and CalStar assisted sheriff's deputies, volunteers and Coast Guard crews in the search-and-rescue effort.

Bushnell, a 20-year veteran of the sheriff's department, said he could not recall a fatal shark attack off the Mendocino Coast.

"Our big issue is he's missing now," Bushnell said.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Wow. Really a sad story. It sounds like he did nothing wrong. Just the wrong place at the very worst time.

His body was found yesterday, headless. Definately shark, big one! This hits very close to home. I'm diving near there this weekend. I feel very bad for his buddies, who were probably traumatized from this insident.

Just to clarify this... I heard tonight from a buddy who works for CDF&G. I had asked her whether he was SCUBA or free diving for abalone. Fortunately he was free diving so he was legal. Of course free divers are more likely targets for shark attack than SCUBA divers. I guess the shark didn't know season on humans hasn't started yet. My condolences to the diver's friends and family.

Doc

Yes there are two! It is a small fishing town north of Mendocino,about 3 hours north of San Francisco.

This really hits close to home..having just gone abalone diving two weeks ago...!!!? :11:
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends-and yes Dr Bill he did have a hunch he would someday get attacked!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom