Man-eaters of Tsavo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40:
But how can a lion, which is in so much pain that it cant hunt its normal prey, drag humans over a 15 foot thorn fence and then crack through their bones loud enough that everyone can hear?
Don't confuse dental problems with debilitating pain... most of the lions that turn to hunting humans COULD kill the usual prey, it's just that humans are typically louder, less aware, less able to protect themselves, and basicly easier in every conceivable way. There's less risk (if the kill is made smartly) and less effort involved in taking humans Humans don't have kicking hooves, antlers, claws, sharp teeth, etc, and they're likely to be preoccupied. These lions are strong... even the weak ones.

DavidPT40:
But how can a lion, which is in so much pain that it cant hunt its normal prey, drag humans over a 15 foot thorn fence and then crack through their bones loud enough that everyone can hear?
Don't confuse dental problems with debilitating pain... most of the lions that turn to hunting humans COULD kill the usual prey, it's just that humans are typically louder, less aware, less able to protect themselves, and basicly easier in every conceivable way. There's less risk (if the kill is made smartly) and less effort involved in taking humans Humans don't have kicking hooves, antlers, claws, sharp teeth, etc, and they're likely to be preoccupied. These lions are strong... even the weak ones.

Yeah, definately some good stories Spratman.
74148716_1b61966a97.jpg

I don't understand what you are trying to say MSilvia. Do you think the lions turned to eating humans because of dental problems, or because the humans were defensless prey? I think the latter.

My favorite biologist, Dr. Alan Rabinowitz, conducted field research on jaguars in South America. He would capture the jaguars in traps, so he could tag them. Unfortunately, the jaguars would often struggle to escape the traps and break one of their teeth on the metal bars. Every jaguar that broke a tooth on the metal bars subsequently died of starvation. They could not hunt at all due to the pain.

I think this greatly contrasts with the extreme athletic ability of the lions in Tsavo.

What I'm trying to say is simply that while there are lions whose dental (or other age-related) problems drive them to attack the easiest/softest prey (including humans) that they can find out of necessity, I don't think that that means that every lion with a tooth problem is unable to fend for itself. While I understand that the remains of the Tsavo maneaters show abcesses, I don't believe from the accounts I've heard and read that those abcesses made these particular lions the kind of helpless invalids who had no other option. The impression I get is that those lions exhibited a deviant hunting style that made it seem as though they just really enjoyed collaboratively terrorizing and eating humans. Not because they had to, but because they wanted to and were good at it.

I'm sure the toothaches didn't make their temperments any more agreeable though.

Well, for one thing, lions run upwards of 400 to 500lbs, vs. a jaguar that is 100+. The tigers that were recorded in the Man-eaters of Kumoan, were equally as large. A broken fang doesn't necessarily mean that it was in pain, but it did hamper them from killing prey in the 300 to 400lbs range. Also, jumping over high fences with 100+ pound human was not a big act of strength for them.

As Mike said, it doesn't mean that healthy lions cannot develop a liking for humans, for all the reasons he mentioned, but these are powerful creatures. However, most of the evidence from the carcasses pointed to broken teeth of a broken limb or deformity of some sort.

Interesting discussion though.

Oh, I'd like to add that I myself had a tooth abscess this past December. It was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. But then again, I've had them before where they were not painful at all.

Back
Top Bottom