Man Dies After Dive on Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Doesn't sound like it applies. There's no reason to speculate.

Walter, you are correct. it is too early to speculate.

I meant that as a side comment of how often any water related injury/death that the ME will state cause of death as drowning when that isn't always the case. Didn't mean to confuse that.

¶ KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) _ A Missouri man died while scuba diving with a friend on a Florida Keys shipwreck, authorities said Monday.
¶
<name removed>, 48, of Kansas City, appeared to be in some distress during a dive Saturday at the Spiegel Grove artificial reef and signaled that he needed to surface, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said.
&#182; Fellow divers helped
him remove his gear, but he lost consciousness as he climbed on board the chartered diving boat, the sheriff's office said.
&#182; Paramedics and a sheriff's deputy met the boat at Key Largo Harbor Marina, but he was declared dead at the dock.
&#182; His dive gear was taken for examination. An autopsy will be scheduled.
&#182; According to
the victim's friend, he was a frequent diver and they'd been diving many times together before, the sheriff's office said.
&#182; The former USS Spiegel Grove is the largest intentionally sunk ship in the world. It has served as an artificial reef in 130 feet of water off Key Largo since its sinking in 2002.
&#182; The 510-foot long ship, designed to carry cargo and craft for amphibious landings, was retired by the Navy in 1989.
&#182;

A Missouri man diving with a friend on the wreck Spiegel Grove died Saturday morning, Feb. 4.

<name removed>, 48, of Kansas City was on board a vessel operating out of the Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo.

At 10 a.m., the vessel's crew radioed the United States Coast Guard they were heading to shore and were performing Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation on a man who was not breathing on his own.

Deputy John Perez met the vessel at Key Largo Harbor Marina along with paramedics. He was declared dead at the dock.

Witnesses who were diving with
the victim, including a woman from the dive center and his friend from Independence, Mo., told Deputy Perez and Detective Linda Mixon they dove on the Spiegel Grove and, while diving on the wreck,
the victim indicated he needed to surface.

They said he appeared to be in some distress. They all surfaced together and assisted him with removing his dive gear.

As he was climbing on board the boat, he lost consciousness.

A short time later he stopped breathing and CPR was started, and continued until the vessel reached shore.

According to the victim's friend, he was a frequent diver and they'd been diving many times together before.

The victim's dive gear was taken for examination. An autopsy will be scheduled to determine the cause of his death.

The above taken from the upperkeys reporter website

... As he was climbing on board the boat, he lost consciousness.

A short time later he stopped breathing and CPR was started, and continued until the vessel reached shore. ...
I wonder if O2 was administered as well.

Willie

Yep...Very sad to hear any diver losing his life. Would be interesting if he had any medical history pertinent to diving...hypertension comes to mind. Sounds very much like he could have had a cardiac event of some type. I'm 46 and am a RN. The 40's to 60's are prime time for cardiac events. I went several years before getting a physical...nurses are notorious for that...But I'm getting yearly physicals now and this Summer will get a nuclear stress test. Regular tread mills are ok but don't always give indications of potential coronary artery blockage. With the nuclear tests you have a small amount of radioactive dye injected into your veins and it actually shows the heart muscle pumping. It's the next best thing to having an actual cardiac catheterization. Just saying all of this because I want to know what risks I may have. These stories are a bit scarey. There are many cardiac related deaths every year where there were no past symptoms at all. I think all men AND women, starting in our 40's should get at least a stress test every 5 years....maybe more often.

crpntr133:
Sounds more like a natural death. Of course it could have been something in his "oxygen tank". :D Still sorry to hear about anybodies death.

I didnt see "oxygen tank" in the report. Have you read other information or just trying to stir the pot?

Here's another story of a similar vein, last spring.

BY ANN HENSON, Staff Writer
Posted-Friday, May 6, 2005 1:09 PM EDT Email this story
Printer friendly version

Could a change in protocol have saved a scuba diver who died last weekend while diving the Spiegel Grove?

A team investigating the incident may answer this and other questions surrounding the death.

But one fact is clear - no one was underwater looking for the victim until two hours after the call for help was made.

<name removed>, 44, of Indiatlantic, died as he was diving the Spiegel Grove on Saturday, April 30.

According to Islamorada Coast Guard Commander Dennis Zecca, the Coast Guard followed protocol after getting the call at about 2:50 p.m.

"We launched our rescue boat within five minutes of the call," he said.

"We had aircraft in the area and they were on scene within six minutes."

He said the state Fish and Wildlife Commission was notified and arrived eight minutes after the call.

"We are the surface rescue," Zecca said. "We don't do underwater rescue."

The county was also notified, but the Monroe County Sheriff's Office was unable to provide air support or a dive team.

The head of the dive team was out kayaking on his day off.

"Two hours went by and a follow-up call was made to the county," but this time to conduct an underwater search for a body, Zecca said.

Becky Herrin, spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office, said both of the sheriff's helicopters were down that day, but she didn't know why.

"The dive team was in the process of assembling when the Key Largo team responded," she said.

"We are not a rapid-response team, like Key Largo Fire Rescue," she said.

"We'll do it if we can and on occasion we can help. Primarily, we are a search-and-recovery team."

The Coast Guard official called Chief Sergio Garcia of the Key Largo Volunteer Department at 5 p.m.

Garcia said his team made it to the Spiegel Grove in 19 minutes.

"They found the diver in deep water at 6:08 p.m." he said, about three hours after the initial call.

Garcia said he didn't know if the diver could have been saved if the Key Largo crew was called initially.

"We won't know that until the autopsy report is back," he said.

"If he had a heart attack and went down," he most likely could not have been saved, he said.

"But we don't know when he went down and for how long."

Dr. Michael Hunter, Monroe County Medical Examiner, said the cause of death was drowning and the victim died very soon after he went down because he was still wearing a weight belt.

However, a final answer through extensive toxicology and other testing will take weeks.

Rob Bleser, who heads the Key Largo dive team, was at his dive shop when Garcia notified him.

Bleser said that for this type of search, a technical diver is needed, especially if the lost diver was still inside the ship.

Two of Bleser's instructors have technical diving certificates and are working on becoming members of the dive team.

"I just took the two guys who were certified to do this," he said.

Other divers in the area were gearing up to head out to the Spiegel Grove, but Bleser's team found the diver nearly immediately upon entering the water.

"They did a superb job," Bleser said. "We are satisfied that we could bring this to closure rather than extending the search to the next day."

Zecca said that waves that day ranged 4-7 feet and the current was running very fast.

"Only experienced divers should be out under those conditions," he said.

According to police reports,
the victim was diving off of It's A Dive.

He surfaced at the wrong mooring ball and signaled to dive captain Jason Hill that he was in trouble.

"Hill advised the victim to stay put until the other divers were on the boat," the report stated.

However,
the victim was pulled off the mooring ball by the current and began to swim for the boat.

Hill's boat left its mooring to find the victim, but could not locate him and immediately called the Coast Guard.

Company officials said they are not making statements due to an ongoing investigation.

Zecca and Herrin, of the Sheriff's Office, said a meeting of all agencies to discuss procedures would be held.

Zecca said he plans to add to Coast Guard protocol that the Key Largo Fire Department be notified immediately for help in future diver situations.

ScubaTwo:
I didnt see "oxygen tank" in the report. Have you read other information or just trying to stir the pot?

I believe that was a reference to the poor quality of most newspaper accounts of diving accidents, not a reference to this particular incident.

Walter:
Doesn't sound like it applies. There's no reason to speculate.

It works both ways, nautral incidents happening underwater result usually in drowning and become a diving statistic.

BUT the reverse can also happen, people die on a boat/helicopter/hospital as the result of an injury sustained while diving (AGE, DCI, near drowning etc). Those are just as much diving incidents.

Must be said in this incident its looking more likely to be a non diving related cause that happened underwater (either would have happened anyway or the added stress brought it on) as opposed to a diving problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom