Man Dies After Dive on Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a nurse's perspective, I do not think it is not helpful to speculate what happened here. It is very sad and unfortunate; the man was not very old and probably didn't think, "Hey, I might die today." Whether or not he made a diving error or had a MI, who knows. It could just as well have happened in the bathtub or on the lawnmower or in the car for all we know. But this should just make all of us divers realize that it is our own responsibilities to know our health limitations, to know what is going on with our bodies physically (whether we are having symptoms of illness or not), and to know the risks we take that are inherent to diving when we're out in the middle of nowhere, maybe 100ft down, and something goes wrong. We are not guaranteed another day here on earth. Makes you kind of want to schedule a routine physical, doesn't it? I am very sorry for this family. This is a tragedy.

Don,

Thanks for the excellent points about entanglement around the props. Definate lessons learned.

The question still lies in what could have been done? For this past incident, the answer may be that everything humanly possible was done. For future incidents, is there anything that can be changed? This is challenging with no easy answer, if one exists.

:auto: :smash: As far as driving vs. diving, I still challenge the oppinion of diving being more strenuous. Case in point is, try riding a motorcycle on I-10 or I-45 in Houston, TX during rush hour (or any other time for that matter) without a hammer or chain to give a wake up call to the 4-wheeler coming across into your lane with you in it at the same position, despite your loud exhaust pipes. Better yet, watch the tanker truck adjacent to ya being cut off by a driver who slams on his brakes after making the lane change. There is stresss!!!!!:icon10:

Diving is quite relaxing compared to this:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom