Mammoth Lake advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I will be heading over and diving Mammoth Lake July 16th. Does anyone have any recommendations? A hi-res map of the lake? Freshwater and shallow - going to be a little different than what we've been diving recently :D

One of my favorite spots at Mammoth is the C-130. But if the water level is too high, it gets deep, cold and uninteresting so call ahead and ask. There are maps of the underwater attractions given out at the desk.

The folks at CHUM Social Dive Club - Houston Texas SCUBA diving can give you tons more info about Mammoth and a few alternate sites in the Houston area.

I went today, vis is a solid 10-12', with that said, the training platforms are 16' x 16'. From one side to the other you can make out the benches and shapes of divers, but you can't tell anything about them at 16'. At a distance of 10' you can definitely see your buddy and identify individual divers., temp 88 down to 38', 86f past 39', large perch and bass and structure.

I went today, vis is a solid 10-12', ......At a distance of 10' you can definitely see your buddy and identify individual divers., temp 88 down to 38', 86f past 39', large perch and bass and structure.

Thanks Tripntx,

How about the C-130? Did you happen to visit the plane? If so, how was the vis in and around it? The last time I dove there, the tail was under water.

Vis fine penetrating inside the cockpit. Outside it was a little bit murky, but I'm sure that was because several class with OW students were taking place and they visit the C-130. Beside the C-130, you should check out the LARC, short bus, Kong, steeple tower, and fire trucks. I always enjoy Miss Emily and Endeavor.

Lizard Leg, see if you can get this guy ^^^ (tripntx)to dive with you as a tour guide. He took me and my son on a tour at Mammoth and we had a blast. :)

Edited: I tried to quote tripntx but it didn't work, so I added his name to the original post so that my post actually made sense.

Lizard Leg, see if you can get this guy ^^^ (tripntx)to dive with you as a tour guide. He took me and my son on a tour at Mammoth and we had a blast. :)

Edited: I tried to quote tripntx but it didn't work, so I added his name to the original post so that my post actually made sense.

Thanks Dan. I haven't been diving ML as much the last two seasons due to overtime at work, but I'm finally finding time to start diving more. Plus I have to make an attempt at keeping my skills in check.

Lizard Leg, shoot me a PM if y'all are interested in following me around the lake some. I need to dive next weekend, and currently have Friday afternoon along with all day Saturday open. Heading offshore in a couple of weeks to dive the flower gardens so I need time on my rebreather.

Thanks Dan. I haven't been diving ML as much the last two seasons due to overtime at work, but I'm finally finding time to start diving more. Plus I have to make an attempt at keeping my skills in check.

Lizard Leg, shoot me a PM if y'all are interested in following me around the lake some. I need to dive next weekend, and currently have Friday afternoon along with all day Saturday open. Heading offshore in a couple of weeks to dive the flower gardens so I need time on my rebreather.

Hey look, I actually used the quote correctly!

Anyway, the kid and I might be down in your neck of the woods in December, Ken. As you know, we dive dry so water temps won't be an issue. Maybe we can grab another dive or three. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom