Malta or Canary Islands??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffbsm85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning a diving trip this summer for my wife and I. I can't decided between Malta or the Canary Islands though. We have only dove a few places in the states and so we're not looking for any deep dives or a lot of wrecks and caves and such. I'm just wondering what everyone recomends. I'd like warmer water is possible. Marine life is also important to us. Anyways, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I´ve been to Malta(and Gozo) 2 times and to a few of the different Canary Islands....just so you know where I´m coming from...

Both will propably be warm enough for you (meaning you can dive them comfortably in wetsuits), Malta is the warmest of the two, specially in the summer.

Depending on which Canary Island you go to, marine life will vary but I think all will have "enough" for you to have stuff to look at (at least the more common islands like GC, FV and Lanzarote). There is an island that I believe is called Herrero (sp?) that is a nature-reserve that supposedly has a lot of marine life.

Malta propably has a bit less marine life but compensates, IMO, by having better visibility, caverns and wrecks that are shallow and relatively "harmless" even for less experienced divers. It could be a chance for you to "try out" som nice wrecks and caverns to see if its something you´d enjoy learning more about...

Almost all of Malta is shorediving(boattrips arent worth it in my experience) that is accessible by car(traffic is "italian rules" though so caution is advised) and so you and your wife could just rent a car and gear and then take things at your own pace which would be harder to do on most of the Canary Islands, something to think about...

Malta also have a few "topside" cultural atractions and, I would say, generally are less "touristy" than the Canaries.

I would vote for Malta because I enjoyed the diving and shore-life more than I´ve done on the larger Canary Islands but I´m sure someone will be along shortly to explain why it´s the other way around :) That´s the beauty of forums like this one...Just ask if you have any more questions...

Thanks for the info grazie!! I was leaning toward Malta and I think you just helped me make up my mind!!

Quick question though on the Italian traffic rules. My wife and I are americans, how does Italian driving compare to US and to UK driving?

Also it's been awhile since we've dove and it was only in the US. Any suggestions on a shop in Malta to get maybe a refresh or local info dive from? Thanks again!!

Malta and Gozo have some nice dive sites, namely the Blue Hole, Inland Sea, Rozi, Um El Faroud, HMS Stubborn, Imperial Eagle, etc.

There are loads of decent dive centres on Malta and Gozo, depends where you are going to be staying on-island.

The driving in Malta and Gozo is on the left, as in the UK, but the best quote I heard to answer your query about what the driving is like from one of my mates who lived out there for several years, in answer to the question 'what side of the road do Maltese drivers drive on', was: "Maltese drivers drive in the shade". He's about right! Let's just say it can be 'interesting'...

Mark

Pretty much what MarkUK said...the rules are "negotiated" constantly...it is interesting but I would make sure that you get a good insurance with your rental vehicle if you get one...

I would recommend Oxygéne in Sliema (Oxygène) because they were good to me when I was there, seemed well organized and "serious" but I´m sure there are others...

As you seem to be stationed in the UK you could go to Scuba Diving Forums and ask some people there if you want more input (as this thread isn´t gaining as much attention)...might help you get into the local diving scene as well...

HTH

If its marine life you want then try the canary islands. If its wrecks then Malta.

Out of those 2 i prefer Malta (as i believe fish just get in the way of a good wreck).

Ive dived with and taken TDI courses with Oxygene - was a few years ago now but at the time i found them excellent.

Back
Top Bottom