Canary Islands (Lanzarote) Ideas and/or Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncJensen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I will be visiting the Canary Islands (CI), specifically Lanzarote, in October. As this will be our first time visiting these islands, I'd appreciate any ideas or recommendations from anyone with CI experience. TIA!

Just saw your post now. I was on Lanzarote in may, in Puerto del Carmen, and absolutely loved it. What questions do you have? I'll answer what I can.

Went then there too long a time ago to suggest any diving facilities, but when in Lanzarote, be sure to pay a visit to the local wineries, which are truly surprising (UNO World heritage) and to Timanfaya National Park (next best thing is walking on the moon).

This site ought to help :

Even got a specific page about diving : Diving - Lanzarote European Sports Destination

Just saw your post now. I was on Lanzarote in may, in Puerto del Carmen, and absolutely loved it. What questions do you have? I'll answer what I can.
Any surprises...anything special that we should bring or think about as we prepare?

Well, it was my first time on the canary islands and first time diving in the atlantic ocean. I was colder than expected. But that's partly lack of experience, simply. The water was at 21°C and with 2 dives per day and a significant wind at the surface, I was constantly cold (7mm wetsuit + hooded vest - the latter made it bearable but still cold). Next time I'm visiting I'm diving in a drysuit. All tourist divers were in wetsuits and fine. Most guides and instructors in drysuits. Since everyone is different in that respect, take whatever you'll be comfortable in. Also it should be less windy in october than in may and the water slightly warmer. Even if you take your wetsuit, I'd recommend taking a hood and gloves for sure. Some added warmth, just in case.
Most of the diving will be shore diving, but I suppose you know that.
As far as tourist stuff in concerned, renting a car is a good idea. You can easily drive around the island in a day (or split it up for comfort but distances aren't big and parking is easy to find in the tourist spots). The national park apparently tends to have long lines and it's advised to come really early or early afternoon (beware they close rather early, I think 4pm... I missed it but the area is still great to see, even from the road).
No idea what else to say. If you have questions, ask :) And have fun! I loved it so much I'm going back in october myself.

Almost half a year later, but i am taking my chances.

I am going to Lanzarote on January for 8 days and i would like to dive at least half of them.
There are so many dive centers but i would like to go to one that is trully good.
Any recommendations from the ones who have been there?

(Also some dive spots recommendation would be highly appreciated :) )

Well, where will you be staying? That will help esp. with a recommendation of dive centers.
For dive spots, generally speaking: pretty much all diving is on the east coast. The north can only be dived in good conditions, usually in autumn. Not sure about january, but my guess is no. Then there is a bit diving hub around Playa Chica (Puerto del Carmen) and Playa Blanca (further south). Playa Blanca is shallower, mostly up to 20m and white sandy bottom. Playa Chica has more walls, reefs etc, some small wrecks. Both are nice and most dive centers should offer both I guess (at least mine in PDC did), but their location will dictate where they primarily dive. I haven't been in january, but my guess is that it's not super busy, so you should get small groups and they might cater more to your wishes.

It doesn't really matter where we are staying, we will have a car so we can drive anywhere. But it will be in a small place close to Tias :)

Did you have a good experience with any dive center?
What were your favourite dive spots? I saw they have a "blue hole" that looks interesting.
Did you dive the museum too? Seems so expensive...

It's been a few years since I was last there, but Safari Diving in Puerto del Carmen were very good and right on the beach.

In Playa Blanca, Rubicon diving were excellent.

The museum was interesting, but I don't think I'd bother again.

It doesn't really matter where we are staying, we will have a car so we can drive anywhere. But it will be in a small place close to Tias :)

Did you have a good experience with any dive center?
What were your favourite dive spots? I saw they have a "blue hole" that looks interesting.
Did you dive the museum too? Seems so expensive...
Ah perfect. I was staying in Puerto del Carmen (near Pocadillos) and diving with a center there as well. Aquanautic Club Lanzarote. It's german led, but they have a team of 2 germans and one spanish. All speak English. No Danish I suppose but that shouldn't be an issue. It's a great dive center. I was there in may and returned in october. They'll take you to the spots I mentioned. In october they had a weekly trip to Playa Blanca and once a week a boat dive from Playa Chica. The local diving is Playa Chica from shore. They have a nice center and are really knowledgable about gear as well if you happen to have an issue. They can also accomodate SM if that's what you dive. Feel free to dm for more details. And if you dive with them, say hi from Celine :)
The museum is not the best dive. The area (Playa Blanca) is super nice though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom