Malibu conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm always amazed at how much better the vis looks on video than it did in real life! Thanks for posting, Chris....now if only we can convince Jen and Stephen that shore diving the scoots might not be the worst idea in the world :wink:

My wife drove down to Westward Beach this morning apres gym with her Starbucks latte and said conditions didn't look as amenable to diving as yesterday. She talked to four divers who said today was at best 10 ft. visibility, so if you went out yesterday you did good compared to today. From Rainer's video, viz looked better than what I had Saturday on the Yukon and Ruby E. The instructor for my wreck class and instructor whose name goes on my wreck C-card dove Point Dume canyon on Friday an hour after I was there and said conditions were 20 to 25 ft. viz. Waves definitely looked bigger Sunday than Saturday. Let me know the next time you're going to drive up here - I'd love to join you and get a tow out to the pinnacles, and especially one back :)

I was really hoping you would have a kick ass dive so you would want to come up to my area more often. :D I hope it was good enough that you will consider it again!

Eric, we come up to Malibu about once every six months. That's about how long it takes for us to forget why we don't come more often. :duck:
About a month ago I convinced my wife to go snorkeling with me out to the pinnacles. No waves, otherwise she wouldn't get in the water with a mask and fins. We started from Big Dume walking down the stairs and swam out. Incredibly clear water - able to see the bottom all the way to the pinnacles. Once there we could see all the way to the bottom of each of the pinnacles. More life than I've seen anywhere in So Cal. The difference between high and low tide that day was about a foot, so no current and not much in the way of waves. Timing is everything. One of those one in a hundred days, but absolutely spectacular! So maybe you should think every three months instead of every six months

I know, I know. I keep hearing about these great Malibu dive days, but we've had only *one* good dive there in the past two years. Terrible average.

How about this: if conditions are looking really great, post here, and we'll make the drive up. I'm not sure two in our group now, however, are willing to scooter dive off Pt Dume any longer (exit was pretty gnarly)!

Must say, based on what we did manage to see of the pinnacles, I can definitely start to appreciate how nice they must be in good conditions! The short video I shot hardly does them any justice at all.

I know, I know. I keep hearing about these great Malibu dive days, but we've had only *one* good dive there in the past two years. Terrible average.

How about this: if conditions are looking really great, post here, and we'll make the drive up. I'm not sure two in our group now, however, are willing to scooter dive off Pt Dume any longer (exit was pretty gnarly)!

Must say, based on what we did manage to see of the pinnacles, I can definitely start to appreciate how nice they must be in good conditions! The short video I shot hardly does them any justice at all.

I'm sure one of the two will forget that he doesn't want to scooter out to the pinnacles :wink:

I'm definitely willing to give it a try again, but would appreciate local insight as to when conditions are looking promising. When is Malibu good to dive? Seems that vis there is always in the 5ish foot range....whereas Laguna is in the 10ish foot range. Each are about an hour away....guess which one usually ends up winning!

I have to say, the pinnacle did look pretty sweet. Amazing coral on it...and all the fish we saw there were quite large. That said, unless the ocean looks like a lake, I doubt I'll be shore diving a scooter anytime soon. I don't think anyone should shore dive gear that weighs as much as they do...especially when waves are breaking over your head!

I am willing, though, to be towed on a scooter. :)

Back
Top Bottom