Maldives, Similan Islands or Andaman Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi gee.Very nice photos.What season did you dive Ari and Male Atoll?.Maldives are great if you know where and when you dive.

Thanks nikcre, we dived at the tail end of the dry season. The seas were quite flat, unfortunately the visibility most days was down...to around 40M

P3160393.jpg

I think a lot depends on what you want. The Similans has some great macro while the Maldives has outstanding big animal action. The Maldives is a large area so a lot depends on where you go. Despite bleaching there are still some healthy hard coral areas as well as soft corals and gorgonians. I think the Maldives is maybe better for the sheer number of fish you can see and Similans probably better for soft corals and gorgonians. But if your looking for an adrenalin rush the Maldives is hard to beat. Reef sharks, hammerheads, whale sharks, manta rays, schools of fish, if you like them big its the place to go. Ok Cocos and Galapagos and maybe French Ploynesia might be better (havent dived any of them) but the costs would make the Maldives feel like a budget holiday. In terms of budgets there are decent cheaper liveaboards. Also look out for special offers.

Btw, if your already in India the Andamans are easy to get to. Kinfisher Airlines has cheap flight to Pot Blair, and accommodation and diving is not very expensive. I cant comment on Andaman diving since I have not been there yet. But have a friend who works there who showed me some great photos. Maybe next year...........

Thanks Phuket Diver.

Im actually contemplating an Andamans liveaboard trip in the future, then Similans so this might as well be Maldives, Andamsn AND Similans thread! But first have to get some diving in Phillipines, Sulawesi and Palau first. :D

Back
Top Bottom