Maldives, Similan Islands or Andaman Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I havent dived Similan or Andaman but I was on a Maldives liveaboard to Ari Atoll. I also did a week on resort based in North Male Atoll. If you are into your wide angle and pelagics, which I am - where else can you see in a space of a week - Black and White Tips, Grey Reef Sharks Hammerheads, Whale Sharks, Manta Ray Schools, Eagle Ray Schools? An Instructor I showed photos to said that what else did you want to see in a week? - you've pretty much seen it all! Now name me another destination where I can see all of this in a week and Id like to go there. Well...ermmm there could be a place I hear called Galapagos! But that will be another story...

Thanks gee. It sounds like Maldives is the place for big fish. Also, I would be heading in November, and this seems to be a good time to see whale sharks. A liveaboard in the Maldives would be $1500, vrs. $1000 in the Similans, and that seems reasonable.

If you are into your wide angle and pelagics, which I am - where else can you see in a space of a week - Black and White Tips, Grey Reef Sharks Hammerheads, Whale Sharks, Manta Ray Schools, Eagle Ray Schools? An Instructor I showed photos to said that what else did you want to see in a week? - you've pretty much seen it all!

Hmmh... lemme think what could be added :
schools of thousands of barracudas or trevallies
frogfishes
pygmy seahorse and ghost pipefish
flamboyant squid, mimic octopus or blue ringed octopus
dozens of various nudibranchs
tens of species of shrimps and crustacia
bottoms carpeted with soft and hard corals

... thousands of various fish species.

Obviously your instructor didn't have a good fish Id. book :rofl3:

Otherwise, if you're into "sharks and rays only" dives, I would suggest French Polynesia or Mozambique at least it's more typical overland. If you prefer sharks and corals, Fiji is a better bet...

Of course there were lots of other fish and sea life that we saw I fogot to (ooops) mention...

:mooner:

Well young man... we'd rather look at your photos than at the whiter side of your moon. :eyebrow:

Gladly Kind Sir Luko, here are some taken with my compact from Ari Atoll (have omitted some of my infamous close focus wide angle moon shots) :D

P31707912.jpg

P3150095.jpg

P3150848.jpg

P3140620.jpg

P3170583.jpg

P3140772.jpg

P3150971.jpg

P3170898.jpg

P31508721.jpg

P31704741-1.jpg

P31708641.jpg

P3120130.jpg

P31501511.jpg

Last edited:
I havent dived Similan or Andaman but I was on a Maldives liveaboard to Ari Atoll. I also did a week on resort based in North Male Atoll. If you are into your wide angle and pelagics, which I am - where else can you see in a space of a week - Black and White Tips, Grey Reef Sharks Hammerheads, Whale Sharks, Manta Ray Schools, Eagle Ray Schools? An Instructor I showed photos to said that what else did you want to see in a week? - you've pretty much seen it all! Now name me another destination where I can see all of this in a week and Id like to go there. Well...ermmm there could be a place I hear called Galapagos! But that will be another story...

I saw, lepord,whitetip, mata ray schools, devil rays, sea trutle and when we had the normaly boring safety stop a group of dolphins swimmed by us. All this in Andmans:)

all this in one dive

Gladly Kind Sir Luko, here are some taken with my compact from Ari Atoll
Ok thanks Gee! :wink:
The eagle rays are difficult to get, they usually swim into the blue and they're quite fast.

(have omitted some of my infamous close focus wide angle moon shots) :D
Thanks for that too! :rofl3:

Yes we had a school of about 8-10 of Eagle Rays. The shot was taken at around 34m and they were swimming out toward the blue...fast! I had one or 2 shots and had to really fin to keep up (thanks to Avanti Excels!) Im glad the shot turned out fine.

I saw only 1 Eagle Ray in Sipadan. At Rasdhoo Madivaru where this was taken I say about 10-15 in one dive! And a school of Hammerheads. Unfortunately the Hammerheads were a little too deep to get to for a decent shot at 40+ m and swimming fast.

You can barely pick the Hammerhead sillhouttes here, it was early on in the dive at 6am, and there was barely any light.

P31809772.jpg

Magnificent Eagle Ray

P31708841.jpg

Back
Top Bottom