Maldives - liveboard also for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering to go to a liveboard to Maldives, but I am not sure if it is also for beginners - i have had just 10 dives. Can I visit some islands during the safari ? Is there guaranteed to see sharks? Or do you recommend me other destination more suitable for beginners, where are sharks? Thanks

There are no guarantees in life except death. Now speaking of that check out the accident forum regarding the death last spring in the Maldives from bad air. Until the country and tourism board gets it act together I think a lot of divers are skipping it.

I am considering to go to a liveboard to Maldives

The bulk of divers that drop in the waters of the Maldives are fairly inexperienced. The few Americans who get there are the exception- they are usually quite experienced.

The large majority of boats that serve as "liveabaords" spend the bulk of their days being excursion cruisers, offering fishing, snorkeling, remote beach access and some occasional diving. This process is facilitated by 'diving dhonis', the little self contained dive craft that tend to these larger pleasure craft. We Americans are more familar with the three or four hardcore diving liveaboards that market diving heavily through our magazines and dive shows. Most other nationalities have traditionally less daily demand for multiple dive profiles. Americans are "type A" divers.

Relax on the Sharks deal. When the time comes for you to see them, you will. I have seen several swimming freely by, uninvited, on my few trips there.

We have always made stops at resorts, if but not for a few minutes. Seemed to be more for the crew's fun than the passengers.

As far as safety and security, every time you leave home there can be a problem. True enough, recently on Maldivian dive operator likely provided bad air, resisted investigation, and the local government exercised little control.

Should that stop you? It hasn't me, but then again, I aint you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom