Maldives gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
There are reports that the islands are gone. I imagine that this tsunami has ruined any reef system in that area for a long time to come.
Why not put a question mark on the title of your thread since you were really asking a question and relying, as you say, on your imagination.

DennisS:
It doesn't sound like they are gone.

Quoted from an AP story on AOL

"One bit of encouraging news came out of the Maldives, the Indian Ocean archipelago that is the world's lowest-lying country. Officials believe that at an average of just three feet above sea level, it lacked the conditions for a fall-scale tsunami to build up. That meant casualties and damage, while considerable, were less than in neighboring countries. Seventy-three people are confirmed dead and 31 are missing.

The islands' mainstay, tourism, looked likely to rebound quickly. Foreign tourists were back in the water and resort hotel rooms were reopening."

That is very encouraging news indeed. The initial news seemed bleak, with some islands reported UW, which, it seems, was inaccurate. Glad to hear that. Wonder if any damage to the reefs occured?

liberato:
Why not put a question mark on the title of your thread since you were really asking a question and relying, as you say, on your imagination.

Original post changed to reflect updated news. My imagination had nothing to do with it, it was the images and news from TV.

DennisS:
It doesn't sound like they are gone.

Quoted from an AP story on AOL

"One bit of encouraging news came out of the Maldives, the Indian Ocean archipelago that is the world's lowest-lying country. Officials believe that at an average of just three feet above sea level, it lacked the conditions for a fall-scale tsunami to build up. That meant casualties and damage, while considerable, were less than in neighboring countries. Seventy-three people are confirmed dead and 31 are missing.

The islands' mainstay, tourism, looked likely to rebound quickly. Foreign tourists were back in the water and resort hotel rooms were reopening.

"My friends and family told me to go back home. But I told them I'd be more comfortable here than in the cold,'' said Michaela Niedermeyer, 43, of Vienna, Austria, who jumped on an inflatable mattress and paddled to shore after her bungalow, built on stilts over the water, was swamped by the tsunami."

How soon before you divers would head out that way to dive? Do you think 6 months, a year is enough?

Friends of friends left yesterday and fully expect to dive :)

I'd say people will be diving the Maldives ASAP and that the news is not necessarily your best source of information for things like this...

Keep an out here on the boards for updates from locals and travellers.

alcina:
Friends of friends left yesterday and fully expect to dive :)

I'd say people will be diving the Maldives ASAP and that the news is not necessarily your best source of information for things like this...

Keep an out here on the boards for updates from locals and travellers.

Wonder if there should be some concern of an aftershock, or additional tremors? Do these things run in pairs?

pilot fish:
How soon before you divers would head out that way to dive? Do you think 6 months, a year is enough?

On an isolated chain the water should clear in days if not hours simply due to flushing currents. Near the Sumatran coast it could take a couple of months for the initial surge of silt to settle, not to mention the increased silting from the now bare soil during the Monsoon. That shold be handled by new growth as the salt is rinsed from the soil.

FT

pilot fish:
You're located in Singapore? Will you head for Maldives or Thailand? Is the hotel you'll be staying at fully functional?

I am going to Maldives for a one week live aboard - hope everything is all right

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom