malaria meds needed in Lembeh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm travelling to Bali, Lembeh and Komodo in about a week and a half. My travel docs arrived today with a warning that there is a malaria risk in Indonesia. I had assumed this was only a problem in Irian Jaya. The CDC's site is somewhat unclear stating there is a risk both there and in other rural areas. Can anyone provide any info about the need for malaria prophylaxis in these areas? Thanks.

reubencahn:
I'm travelling to Bali, Lembeh and Komodo in about a week and a half. My travel docs arrived today with a warning that there is a malaria risk in Indonesia. I had assumed this was only a problem in Irian Jaya. The CDC's site is somewhat unclear stating there is a risk both there and in other rural areas. Can anyone provide any info about the need for malaria prophylaxis in these areas? Thanks.

Hi,

Really? Just got back from Bali, Lembeh, Bunaken, & Tona Toraja and neither my boyfriend nor I got malaria. I took meds, and he didn't. I heard that Irian Jaya and Togeans may be more of an issue though.

Cheers,
Mel

Hmmm, I would not worry about malaria in Bali or Lembeh. If you do liveaboard in Komodo then it should be ok but if you do landbase diving out of Labuan Bajo, I probably would consider prophylaxis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom