Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, my daughter is planning to do her AOW course in Malapascua. She has booked Hippocampus Resort to stay and was wondering if she should either take her PADI AOW with Devonocean Divers (PADI) OR French Kiss Divers (SSI)?

Has anyone had experience with either one?

Also, is there any + OR - with PADI 'v' SSI - AOW? She currently holds a PADI OW.

Thanks!

Whether she goes PADI or SSI doesn't really matter, the end result is the same.

If you're looking for good training on Malapascua then my recommendation is to check out Evolution. When I worked on the island (not for Evolution) they stood out as the op who put in the most commitment to ensure their training programs were the best they can be, and they were well above the mark.

I have to agree with Scoobydrew, Evolution has a great reputation. One of the owners Matt Reed has set up a great resort and has also won awards for looking after the local environment. It has a great location and the Craic House is a great place to chill out between your dive training.

A third vote for Evolution :) . My wife and I went there in Dec 2015 and she did her AOW. Compared to my own AOW done at a "5 star PADI dive centre" in the Philippines, her training was on a totally different class above mine. Evolution's training is far more thorough and complete, with far more practical experience.

For example, in the Peak Buoyancy class, my own AOW just requested that I could flip myself upside down in the water and hold position. That was it. I learned nothing. Evolution's Peak Buoyancy class went over the entire theory of trim, proper weighting, weight distribution, breath control and taught all the kicks (frog, helicopter, back kick, etc). The difference in my wife's skills pre and post AOW training was immense.

Won't bore readers with comparisons for the other AOW classes, but suffice to say that you get real training at Evolution, not just paperwork and a plastic card.

Thank you so very much! I'll inform my daughter. :)

I also went there 3 years ago, and that was definitely the best op I used on that trip. If I had known, I should have stayed longer.

Back
Top Bottom