Malapascua Dive Schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
6 weeks to go before arriving in Malapascua, I'm very much looking forward to experiencing all I've read about the place.

So, I know that the dives to see the Threshers leaves around 5am. When can I expect to be back on the island?

If I understand correctly, the Thresher dives are 2 dives?

What's the dive schedule/options once returning from the Thresher dives?

If I want to dive other specific sites, do I have to give up the Thresher dive in the morning to do so? I mean it looks like some other sites are also a bit far and maybe only done in the morning?

I'd like to do 3-4 dives a day on a few days I'm there. Many reviews I've read people stated they did only 2 dives a day so made me curious about the schedule.

And just to throw it out there, I'll be there from Nov 15th-21st if anyone wants to join me for a beer.

6 weeks to go before arriving in Malapascua, I'm very much looking forward to experiencing all I've read about the place.

So, I know that the dives to see the Threshers leaves around 5am. When can I expect to be back on the island?

If I understand correctly, the Thresher dives are 2 dives?

What's the dive schedule/options once returning from the Thresher dives?

If I want to dive other specific sites, do I have to give up the Thresher dive in the morning to do so? I mean it looks like some other sites are also a bit far and maybe only done in the morning?

I'd like to do 3-4 dives a day on a few days I'm there. Many reviews I've read people stated they did only 2 dives a day so made me curious about the schedule.

And just to throw it out there, I'll be there from Nov 15th-21st if anyone wants to join me for a beer.

O.k. I just had this really long response to your post written out and just lost it. nuts.:shakehead:

Anyway if you would browse the web site the better ones have this info. I like to dive with Thresher Shark Divers (TSD).
Scuba Diving Philippines, Malapascua with Thresher Shark Divers

Thresher Shark Dive:
Boats leave at 5, 5:30, 6 or even 6:30 am as the big shops rotate the time stagger so they don't all arrive at Monad at the same time. Boat leaves; 30-40 min. to site; 60 min. dive plus setup and boarding (you will only get an hour dive with Nitrox as the depth is 65-75 ft.), and 30-40 min. back to Malapascua. Next boat leave at 9:30am or later usually either for a local dive or a two dive trip to some of the remote sites weather dependent.

I have gotten as many as 5 dives in a day with the usual being 3-4. #1-Monad, #2&3-maybe Dona Maralyn and Gato or both Gato (I prefer), then back by 3-4pm then get ready for #4-the night dive at Lighthouse (mandarin fish mating - dusk not quite dark yet - 5pm)or Bantigi (later as you want is dark for critters).

So you want a busy dive shop but not too busy and then it all depends where those divers want to go. I pretty much have to take what they give as a single diver. I always recommend night dives, then Chocolate Island, Gato Island and Bantigi dive area. Evidently they have a lot of hairy frog fish in the area right now.

there...:ermm:

Thanks for the detail information. I'm glad to hear that doing the Monad dive won't impact other diving. Yes, I'm a single diver so have to go where the group wants to go.

Thanks for the detail information. I'm glad to hear that doing the Monad dive won't impact other diving. Yes, I'm a single diver so have to go where the group wants to go.

Check the other threads about the quickest and cheapest way of getting to Malapascua as it has been discussed at length.

US$200.00 round trip private transfer is not cheap by any standard if travelling alone.

Oh, I wasn't asking about the transfer from Cebu. I've seen the threads already. I was just saying I'm solo so when diving I normally have to follow the group as jbb pointed out.

Good luck with the threshers and hairly frogfish. I just bought a ticket for Nov. 13-30 but I will be heading to Panglao Island and Alona Beach this time. I am very tempted to see Malapascua again just for the frogfish and all the wonderful people I know on the island.

I will say hello to the Threshers for you...

You like Bohol that much to spend your entire trip there? Very interested in your thoughts on that.

I'm killing myself trying to fix my schedule. Still debating Malapascua just for the fact of the time and cost spent to get to/from there. Basically 2 days gone for the transfer. Its my first time to Cebu. Other than diving, nice beach is a must. All else secondary.

So far, Cebu Nov 13th & 14th, Malapascua 15th to 21st (give or take a day) then to Alona Beach until the 27th. Send me a PM if you want to have a beer and talk diving

I will say hello to the Threshers for you...

You like Bohol that much to spend your entire trip there? Very interested in your thoughts on that.

I'm killing myself trying to fix my schedule. Still debating Malapascua just for the fact of the time and cost spent to get to/from there. Basically 2 days gone for the transfer. Its my first time to Cebu. Other than diving, nice beach is a must. All else secondary.

So far, Cebu Nov 13th & 14th, Malapascua 15th to 21st (give or take a day) then to Alona Beach until the 27th. Send me a PM if you want to have a beer and talk diving

I just tried it (Alona) on my last trip and was pleasantly surprised. I get a lot of kidding for going to Malapascua so much I've got at least 11 trips and over 150 dives there. I love macro and the threshers have been great the last few years.

So I wanted to get back to Alona and get some more dives in. I found (well my dive guide did and I found a few critters too) some good macro critters amongst the soft and hard coral slopes. The eels were pretty prolific as well. Little bit more layed back diving schedule there so I had to push a bit to get 3-4 dives a day.

Not sure about your itinerary but the first time I went there I hired a taxi at the airport in the morning. Going to the Philippines from the states a lot depends on which airline you take as most go to Manila and arrive at 11pm or so. I like EVA because they get in at about 11:30am and if you want to push it you can purchase a domestic ticket on-line and head out to Cebu or elsewhere the same day. You can land in Cebu on entering the Philippines but the airlines that do charge quite a bit more. These days I take the extra time off and go at a more sedate pace.

I get a lot of kidding for going to Malapascua so much I've got at least 11 trips and over 150 dives there.

That says a lot about Malapascua. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom