Malapascua 4-a-day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lcatahan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

After browsing threads here, I think I am going to head for Malapascua for my too-short 7 day trip in October. I'm travelling solo and my goal is to dive as much as possible. Any recommendations for the best resort / dive shop where I can get in 4 dives a day? I'm also open to other islands if Puerto Galera or wherever will offer better options at that time of year. For diving interests I'm open minded - I have never been on a dive I didn't enjoy.

Many thanks,
D

If you want four dives a day for seven days you would be much better off in Puerto Galera.
Malapascua is great but a little limited in sites.
For a solo traveler PG is far better also with lots of above water things to do.
Malapascua is beautiful but very quiet.
PG is also much much easier to get to with no flights involved so no down time for "no-fly" interval
Have a look at Asia Divers/El Galleon.

@lcatahan
The aim is to dive as much as possible in relatively short period of time.
Malapascua is nice and the thresher shark is the main attraction. However, getting there do take time which you do not have unfortunately. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that you will find any direct flight from USA to Cebu City so a stop over is required.

@bmag78 has suggested a perfect place for you ie Puerto Galera.
There is TWO daily non stop flights from LAX to Manila by PAL and with good arrival time to choose ie. 05:30 and 18:15. The late departure time, 22:05, from MNL to LAX also gives you plenty of time to make it to the airport by using public transport.
My suggestion:
Stop over in Manila for the first night, it is a long flight with huge time differences. Where to stay in Manila?
The private transfer from MNL to PG is ridiculously expensive ie. US$300.00 if you have no one to share the cost.
I have not taken this route for a long time and just assumed the service is till available.
City State Tower Hotel is in Mabini street Ermita, taxi from NAIA T1 should not cost more than P500.00.
If you want to save some money, not a lot, then get a taxi(P200.00) to Buendia bus terminal. Bus to Batangas pier is under (P300.00), ferry is (P600.00 + P30.00 for the terminal fee), Environmental fees at Balatero is P150.00) and the trike to Sabang Beach is P250.00.
Oct is the low season so advanced booking is really unnecessary. However, the local authority at PG still requires tourists to show hotel booking confirmation at Balatero Port!!!! I have no idea what would happen if you do not possess one.
You can easily do 5 dives a dive.
Your only concern is TYPHOON at that time of the year.
Feel free to ask any question.

If you want four dives a day for seven days you would be much better off in Puerto Galera.
Malapascua is great but a little limited in sites.
For a solo traveler PG is far better also with lots of above water things to do.
Malapascua is beautiful but very quiet.
PG is also much much easier to get to with no flights involved so no down time for "no-fly" interval
Have a look at Asia Divers/El Galleon.
This is helpful, thanks

@lcatahan
The aim is to dive as much as possible in relatively short period of time.
Malapascua is nice and the thresher shark is the main attraction. However, getting there do take time which you do not have unfortunately. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that you will find any direct flight from USA to Cebu City so a stop over is required.

@bmag78 has suggested a perfect place for you ie Puerto Galera.
There is TWO daily non stop flights from LAX to Manila by PAL and with good arrival time to choose ie. 05:30 and 18:15. The late departure time, 22:05, from MNL to LAX also gives you plenty of time to make it to the airport by using public transport.
My suggestion:
Stop over in Manila for the first night, it is a long flight with huge time differences. Where to stay in Manila?
The private transfer from MNL to PG is ridiculously expensive ie. US$300.00 if you have no one to share the cost.
I have not taken this route for a long time and just assumed the service is till available.
City State Tower Hotel is in Mabini street Ermita, taxi from NAIA T1 should not cost more than P500.00.
If you want to save some money, not a lot, then get a taxi(P200.00) to Buendia bus terminal. Bus to Batangas pier is under (P300.00), ferry is (P600.00 + P30.00 for the terminal fee), Environmental fees at Balatero is P150.00) and the trike to Sabang Beach is P250.00.
Oct is the low season so advanced booking is really unnecessary. However, the local authority at PG still requires tourists to show hotel booking confirmation at Balatero Port!!!! I have no idea what would happen if you do not possess one.
You can easily do 5 dives a dive.
Your only concern is TYPHOON at that time of the year.
Feel free to ask any question.
Thank you for so much all of the info. The transfer info is great.

@lcatahan
"Evolution" in Malapascua is reputable. Send Matt a message and ask him about the possibility of doing 4 dives a day for several days.
Most of the sites in PG are very near so the dive boat only goes out for 1 dive and then return to base. Therefore even with one client, the boat still goes out. 5 dives a day is never an issue. Verde Island is the exception because of the distance(extra charge) but highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom