Mako Minimus mask is awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My choice of mask these days is limited to the few types that accept + diopter lens. I tried several “reader” lens types with some success but when I first used a “Deep Sea Clarity” with the optional +1.0 lens I was astounded how the whole undersea world snapped into perfect focus just like it used to be!
Unfortunately the Clarity is neither low volume nor wide vision, in fact it looks a little dated, but its worth it to see so clearly underwater again.
Hopefully some more vendors of quality masks like Mako will recognize that much of their market is getting on a bit and offer such lenses in a wider range of masks.

Hydro Tac stick-on lenses are available in pretty much whatever diopter you want. They work just fine for me, for reading my gauges, seeing the screen and controls on my camera, etc..

You just have to put them on and let them dry for AT LEAST 24 hours and they are good to go.

If you need them for distance vision, then never mind...

Hydro Tac stick-on lenses are available in pretty much whatever diopter you want. They work just fine for me, for reading my gauges, seeing the screen and controls on my camera, etc..

You just have to put them on and let them dry for AT LEAST 24 hours and they are good to go.

If you need them for distance vision, then never mind...

I have tried the Hydro Tac stick ONS and like most reader lens they work sort-of OK, but not great.
Honestly, if you are over 45 and wear reading glasses try a mask with full +1.00 lenses, you will be astounded how well it works for everything underwater- including reading gauges/computers and cameras!

What is your issue with them?

I also have 3 SeaVision masks with their +2.0 gauge reader lenses. I don't really notice a difference.

... try a mask with full +1.00 lenses

Do you mean the entire lens?
Interesting. More info please.

I just checked with the people who install my prescription lenses. They say with my thick prescription I should avoid the Mako Minimus.
Too bad, it sounds like a great travel mask.

Thanks Stuartv for your gear reviews.
Good info, and great reading.

K

Stuart, my issue with all reader lenses is that you have to squint at the bottom of the mask instead of just looking at the gauge/computer straight-on the way you normally would, its do-able but never seems to work all that well.
I never considered the option of the full dive mask lens being positive diopter because my eyesight is really pretty good apart from needing reading glasses up close- or so I thought!
Most of what we look at under the water is probably 1 to 6 feet away, especially when peering into reef and walls looking for video/camera subjects. I found that it was getting increasingly more difficult to find subjects that were not just macro but also small to average fish sized. What I discovered, and I was very surprised, is that a positive +1.0 diopter brought EVERYTHING into sharp focus, from my gauges to the reef and fish 6 feet away. Even more surprising was that it seemed to have no adverse effect on my focus from 6 feet to infinity- and I dive in water that averages 70 to 120 feet viz.

How deep have you had it?

Oh, and I have now had it to 150'. I used it during my Advanced Wreck Penetration class in September up in the Saint Lawrence River. We did a fun dive on the Vickery after class was over. The Vickery dive was a deco dive where we hit 150'.

I almost hit 150 with the Minimus

You should try that again, but with some equipment that would let you stay and enjoy it for a bit! LOL :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom