Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I know, I had my first trip to Bonaire scheduled for end of May was cancelled due to covid. I had my Genesis 1200 packed and ready to ship back to Jon for the battery upgrade. I was super jealous when I saw you went:)

I have my AOW with the instructor Saturday, I will ask him more about the Prism vs Optima and weather the unit he used had Hammerhead electronics.

I like the fact that most here seem to think the Optima seems to be built stronger, I assume this makes the Optima a better choice on a rocking boat?
How do the two compare in break down, cleaning and checklist procedures time?
Looks like the weight of the two is pretty similar, how about pack-a-ability for Airline flights?

We are not trying to go the cheapest rout on either training or equipment. I do think we are entitled to some discounts since we are buying and training two units, but both of us own our own businesses we understand value vs a cheap price.

I really appreciate all the comments, it's not only helping us decide but educating me at the same time!
The optima is the ONLY rebreather I’m certified on that hasn’t cost me a day of diving. It works every time, no matter what. I can dive it all weekend, close it for a month, open it and dive it for another weekend. Of course I got a great bronchial infection, but the Optima just works, I’ve tried that will all 4 of my other rebreathers and in each case a cell gets screwy from the moisture. On the liberty, I have to open to charge, on the sidekick a cell died completely until it dries out. At the very least I probably have to calibrate.
Then there was the time that I dropped Kristi Bernots brand new Optima off the benches, crashing to the ground. Nothing wrong, did a four hour dive after I cleaned the dirt off. I did the same thing to a JJ and a Revo, with several hundred dollars in damage each (don’t let me borrow your CCR)

But even if quality and ruggedness were equal, Lamars customer service is up there with Shearwater. He cares.

it’s not my only rebreather. It’s not even my favorite every day, but most days for most jobs, it is the one I pick.

And to be fair to me, so you don’t think I’m just an Optima fanboy. I’m not trying to sell or train you on anything.

If travelling is a matter, just adding fuel, why not consider a sidewinder? I'm using mine more and more, and it packs really well for traveling. Just that it require previous practice With SM (ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE ADAPTED IT FOR USING WITH BM TANKS - something i will Try anytime Just tô se e how it dives
Also a great friend is using the Triton and it seens to be a neat, very practical unit that cam be used with various harnesses and SM ir BM tanks. And packs really well to traveling

While I love my sidewinder for its purpose; it breathes like crap compared to the Optima

I did the same thing to a JJ and a Revo, with several hundred dollars in damage each (don’t let me borrow your CCR).

What did you break on a rEvo and JJ that you didn't break on an Optima?

What did you break on a rEvo and JJ that you didn't break on an Optima?

Hoses on one, hose and hud on the other.

While I love my sidewinder for its purpose; it breathes like crap compared to the Optima

never dove an optima but I can only imagine it’s true. Compared to what I’m used to the sidewinder breathes like absolute crap. It’s hard to fine anything I even liked about it besides how well it trims

Indeed, specially at surface, beyond the surface, correctly adjusted (it take a few time) and mantaining trim is ok!
But i do agree that my inspirovsky with golem TOS CL breathes easier

By the way, AP units, in travel frames like i use are not too dificult tô travel.
AP's are a bit outdated in some aspects, but are reliable and simple to mantain. They used to be more popular, but lost space to other more modern units
Anyway, they are still pretty usable and with some patience you may find some great deals on used units

Mine seems to breath great in most positions, but when going vertical its almost unusable for me. I despite the sidewinder for wreck/boat diving but partly because I have a Meg which is nearly perfect for wreck diving for me.

With the wants for an eCCR, I'm wondering why the Liberty wasn't in the hunt?

Mine seems to breath great in most positions, but when going vertical its almost unusable for me. I despite the sidewinder for wreck/boat diving but partly because I have a Meg which is nearly perfect for wreck diving for me.
As i've said, as far as you take time to adjust it to yourselve (instructor role is crucial) and dive on a nice trim it breaths great.
Also, ir vou want you may pass the hoses under arms I myself prefer like on the photo
20200820_232410.jpg

Back
Top Bottom