Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have ordered or CM conversion kits and scheduled our training in January (Playa del Carmen)
We will be doing our helitrox class first on the BM units and then doing the CM class (same trip)

Oh the irony,
one big reason for the CM is how light/travel friendly they are.
For this class we will be flying with our BM units, our CM conversions, our BP&W's and EAC's (since absorbent is so expensive in Playa we have been advised to bring it with us).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we still haven't decided on accommodations.
Probably an air bnb in Playacar?

On that irony note, most of our training will be in cenotes ...inching closer to that cave we weren't interested in:)

For this class we will be flying with our BM units, our CM conversions, our BP&W's and EAC's (since absorbent is so expensive in Playa we have been advised to bring it with us).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we still haven't decided on accommodations.
Loose sorb isnt really that expensive. Under the Jungle had sorb by the pound, was $3.50/lb last month. $17.50 per dive day is the least of your expenses and still cheaper than EACs. Just looking online those are like $40 each. So I would buy sorb down there instead of flying a heavy box of EACs

Thanks you. Looks like we may be packing sorb. Seems ridiculous in one of the premier dive locations in the world. Ah Mexico!

Any other recommendations? This will be my first time diving cenotes.

Thanks you. Looks like we may be packing sorb. Seems ridiculous in one of the premier dive locations in the world. Ah Mexico!

Any other recommendations? This will be my first time diving cenotes.
Huh are you missing some words here? Why would you pay extra bag charges to send sorb to Cancun? Under the Jungle is right down the street and a keg is $154 but they sell it by the pound for $3.50/lb too. They had a whole pallet a month ago.

Protec and Zero Gravity also have sorb but I don't know their pricing right now. Sofnolime is not hard to get at all. EACs I dunno, they are crazy expensive and much harder to find.

Not sure what you are planning on bringing suit wise. I wore an 8/6mm semidry last month and was comfortable up to 4hrs in the water. My buddy wore 7mm full suit with a 3mm hooded vest and was also fine. Was nice to be diving wet again for a change although 2x Al80s of 32% dil/bo felt heavy swimming around and got heavier with the significant suit compression below about 60ft.

Sorry, I could have worded that better. When I said packing sorb I meant packing or canister's:)

We both dive wet, I like my freediving open cell wetsuits(7 & 9 mil). Need to lube to get into but sure is warm.
I wonder how they compare to semi dry?

Sorry, I could have worded that better. When I said packing sorb I meant packing or canister's:)

We both dive wet, I like my freediving open cell wetsuits(7 & 9 mil). Need to lube to get into but sure is warm.
I wonder how they compare to semi dry?
You'll be fine warmth wise with the 7mm. You might have some minor issues with compression on the heliox course. With enough lead to sink me shallow with 2x empty 80s, my hollis sms75 started running out of lift at 90-100ft due to suit compression.

the 9mm is overkill and will probably cause even worse compression issues.

What BC are you using?

Our BM O2ptimas (which we're doing our Helitrox on) have 40lb wings and an additional 10lb trim pillow. My back plate has a 23lb wing but I don't think we will be going deep in the crossover class.

Our BM O2ptimas (which we're doing our Helitrox on) have 40lb wings and an additional 10lb trim pillow. My back plate has a 23lb wing but I don't think we will be going deep in the crossover class.
ugh butt pillows, seriously...

well you'll have enough lift, you don't need massive wetsuits on CCR in MX, breathing gas that's almost body temp (~15f warmer than the ambient water temp) really cuts down on your heat losses

The trim pillow is inside the bottom of the main wing, so it's not in the way. Haven't really needed to use it though, we dive OW and I scooter which just pulls me into trim:). After this class I plan on getting drysuit training, don't know if the trim pillow will be useful for that.

I just heard back from Under The Jungle, they are not selling sorb right now.
I also heard back from ProTec, they told me that "due to supply chain crisis the price for Sofnolime has gone crazy" and they will be getting me a price.
The Dive Rite store in Playa quoted me $15/lb for Sofnolime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom