Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Top reasons for me going with the O2ptima:

Top Mount Scrubber: Shorter loop, higher up for less chance of flooding, less WOB.

Scrubber Options: Cartrage or loose, smaller boats the carrtage should work better.

Overall Construction: More machined delrin and stand for bumpy boat rides.

Kydex Cover: (replaceable when gets all scrathed up) for less snags etc.

Ability to make into a CM for travel (about $2,000). Big plus here for me!

BOV: I think just starting out and getting everything in one location off my chest will be better.

Shearwater Electronics with Petrel 2: Feel I can't go wrong here.

Dive Rite: I feel comfortable that they will be here for us now and later down the road. Company seems to be improving their product(s) and coming up with new ones (i.e. the CM unit).

After speaking with several people selling the Prism's I could not get any solid answers on exactly what makes the Prism better. Feedback from users is mostly "we love them" or "A lot of people doing big dives on them". Positve feedback but nothing concrete. My thoughts are that Hollis has done a great job in marketing and getting dealers to sell them (which in itself should be a big plus due to the sheer number of users and dealers).

I know I'm missing a lot so if you have anything you think is relevant please speak up!

My thanks again to everyone who has contributed here, your comments, experience and expertise is greatly appreciated!

T. Feedback from users is mostly "we love them" or "A lot of people doing big dives on them". Positve feedback but nothing concret

That's pretty much the feedback you'll get on anything.

My shop teaches KISS and Optima, I was persuaded to go with a KISS unit after talking with a few people. Nobody I talked to 'loves' the optima, I got a solid meh feeling from anyone I talked to about it. :poke:

I will offer my two cents then in regards to the O2ptima. I got mine in January of this year and it was my first rebreather and I had never done a try dive either. I chose this one because my dive shop/instructor uses it and I got a smoking deal (5 hour unit for half price). After having slugged around double 120's, putting on my little backpack of a unit was a dream.

My buddies and I dive almost every weekend, so 8 months later I have had plenty of time to get acquainted with it. It is compact, sturdy, easy to assemble and prepare, works every time, and functions very well. I love having the cartridges over the granular sorb - easy in and out. And with the BMCL and BOV, no dangly hoses and switches nor bulky counter lungs hanging around my neck and chest.

In summary, I am not 'meh' about mine, I love it. Easy to care for, easy to use, and a crap ton of capability.

People liking them 1/2 way across the country doesn't mean much when almost no one around here dives them.

lol, Do you have any clue how many Optimas are sold nationwide and worldwide? A friggin buttload. People love them. And it certainly does matter that people love them even if your friends don’t, even if they are “half way across the country”

I think I can come close to that locally with rEvo divers.
:poke:

I know lots of people who like their revo. I thought my revo was the best thing ever for four years. Then I dove other rebreathers and changed my mind. Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom