Making My Rig Buoyant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone added anything to your camera to make it more buoyant? If so, what did you use?

I have the Canon G10, Ikelite case, and two DS 51 strobes with the adjustable arms, and the dual sync cord. All of these items make for a pretty heavy rig. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this rig more buoyant?

They make buoyant arms. Otherwise depending on your depth you could add some closed cell foam.

Just remember that if you make your rig more bouyant to compensate on your weight belt. it could make all the difference on a safety stop.

closed cell foam will compress and change buoyancy with depth .. if you can use something that is not compressable then it will stay constant and be easier to trim out and weight

If you did, not sure you would like the results..I would guess that your rig even know is a bit bottom light.. and wants to turn upside down if let go....

ULCS makes "Buoyancy" arms. -> Arm Segments for Underwater Photography

Also - for a DIY solution... You can take PVC tubing, and put end caps on them (sealed). Some calculations may be required, depending on how much buoyancy you need, and how long the pipe is (how much air volume is inside the pipes)

I guess instead of using the word buoyant, I should use the word "neutral." I don't really want the rig to float...just need it to be more neutral in the water. With two strobes the rig is top heavy for sure. I am looking for a "home made" solution. Guess I will have to play around with some things and see what kind of result I get.

If you did, not sure you would like the results..I would guess that your rig even know is a bit bottom light.. and wants to turn upside down if let go....

I guess instead of using the word buoyant, I should use the word "neutral." I don't really want the rig to float...just need it to be more neutral in the water. With two strobes the rig is top heavy for sure. I am looking for a "home made" solution. Guess I will have to play around with some things and see what kind of result I get.

PVC Tubes glue on end caps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom