Making everyone happy in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malgromoth

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on where to stay in Belize. We are split between divers and non divers. I wanted to stay somewhere with diving access and inland access. We don’t mind boat rides to the outer reefs. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the Board. What are the non divers planning on doing in Belize? If they plan on going inland everyday that could get a little pricey. It runs in the mid 50s to fly round trip from San Pedro Town to Belize City. It's in the mid 20s to take a ferry, but it also takes a lot longer. And those costs aren't typically included in the tour package prices. San Pedro Town has some stuff to do there, but most of Ambergris Caye is laying on the beach, snorkeling, diving, parasailing, etc. I have some non diving friends that have been to Ambergris twice and Placencia once and plan on going back again. They spend a lot of time on the beach and in the resorts and snorkeling though.

Dive-aholic:
Welcome to the Board. What are the non divers planning on doing in Belize? If they plan on going inland everyday that could get a little pricey. It runs in the mid 50s to fly round trip from San Pedro Town to Belize City. It's in the mid 20s to take a ferry, but it also takes a lot longer. And those costs aren't typically included in the tour package prices. San Pedro Town has some stuff to do there, but most of Ambergris Caye is laying on the beach, snorkeling, diving, parasailing, etc. I have some non diving friends that have been to Ambergris twice and Placencia once and plan on going back again. They spend a lot of time on the beach and in the resorts and snorkeling though.

the non divers were going to relax and see the country. we were planning on morning 2 tank dives and exploring in the afternoon. thanks for the info, I will continue my research.

cheers,

If you don't want to divide your trip as many folks do (half in San Ignacio area for hiking, caving, jungle, ruins - including Tikal over the border in Guatemala - and half on an island, typically Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye) you should probably pick a spot on the mainland like Hopkins Village or Placencia. Both have a range of lodging options from budget to all inclusive and Hopkins, esp., has great day trip possibilities to Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve, Maya Centre Indian Village, and the Mayflower site (great hiking and minor Mayan ruin) plus the village is a fascinating place (Garifuna). You might want to check out www.belizeforum.com

Happy trails!

We stayed in San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) last April, we dove and our daughter hung out at Banana Beach resort until we were done, usually between noon and 2PM.. We had so much fun driving around in the golf carts and walking around town.. It would be a great place for non-divers and you should be able to get plenty of diving in. We took one day trip to the main island to do the cave tubing and another day trip to the Blue Hole (our daughter snorkeled.. also got seasick on the way back...). There is a chat site for AC ... http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=4;DaysPrune=20 There is a lot of great information on it. Have fun wherever you choose to stay...

Malgromoth:
Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on where to stay in Belize. We are split between divers and non divers. I wanted to stay somewhere with diving access and inland access. We don’t mind boat rides to the outer reefs. Any thoughts?

Hamanasi or Kanantik resorts are off the Southern Hwy between Dangriga and the Placencia turnoff. They are on the beach but nearer to the inland adventures and basically the same distance from the reef as any resort on the Placencia Penninsula. The Caye resorts have reef quality water right off the beach but are a plane or boat ride from Belize City and the inland stuff. The river tours are near this area too. Maybe an hour and a half away up on the Hummingbird Hwy. I like Kanantik. Nice layout and they had a nice dive boat the last time I looked. Great brick pizza oven too. Hank

hopefulist:
If you don't want to divide your trip as many folks do (half in San Ignacio area for hiking, caving, jungle, ruins - including Tikal over the border in Guatemala - and half on an island, typically Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye) you should probably pick a spot on the mainland like Hopkins Village or Placencia. Both have a range of lodging options from budget to all inclusive and Hopkins, esp., has great day trip possibilities to Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve, Maya Centre Indian Village, and the Mayflower site (great hiking and minor Mayan ruin) plus the village is a fascinating place (Garifuna). You might want to check out www.belizeforum.com

Happy trails!

Thank you for the advice!

ScubaDoobaDo:
We stayed in San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) last April, we dove and our daughter hung out at Banana Beach resort until we were done, usually between noon and 2PM.. We had so much fun driving around in the golf carts and walking around town.. It would be a great place for non-divers and you should be able to get plenty of diving in. We took one day trip to the main island to do the cave tubing and another day trip to the Blue Hole (our daughter snorkeled.. also got seasick on the way back...). There is a chat site for AC ... http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=4;DaysPrune=20 There is a lot of great information on it. Have fun wherever you choose to stay...

Thank you for the advice and the URL!

Hank49:
Hamanasi or Kanantik resorts are off the Southern Hwy between Dangriga and the Placencia turnoff. They are on the beach but nearer to the inland adventures and basically the same distance from the reef as any resort on the Placencia Penninsula. The Caye resorts have reef quality water right off the beach but are a plane or boat ride from Belize City and the inland stuff. The river tours are near this area too. Maybe an hour and a half away up on the Hummingbird Hwy. I like Kanantik. Nice layout and they had a nice dive boat the last time I looked. Great brick pizza oven too. Hank

Thanks for the advice, looking forward to trying the pizza!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom