Making BC weight rest on hips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just curious if it were possible to make the weight of the BC rest on your hips as opposed to your shoulders when wearing it. I own a Zeagle Ranger BC and thought of it as I've worn firefighting SCBA's before with specifically designed waist bands to cause the weight to rest on your hips reducing fatigue while wearing it.

Would a similar setup be possible and practical for a BC? And if so could a cumberband be produced that could be retro-fitted to older models of BCs like say the Ranger that I have? :D

The Ranger is designed to carry the weight mostly on the hips.

Here is the section of the owners manual that refers to donning the BC.

• Weights can be installed in the weight pockets before the BC is donned or after.
It may be easier to add your weights after you have the system on to avoid lifting the tank and weights together.
Considerations include the amount of weight and the distance to enter the water. Ask your buddy for help in either case.
• Loosen the shoulder straps.
• Have your buddy balance the system while you put it on like a jacket.
• Remember, the system should be worn low with the bottom of the vest at the top of your hips
• Fasten the side panels and/or the waist band.
Extend the cummerbund side panels as far as possible before wrapping them around your body. Be sure to get the waist tight.
• Fasten the sternum strap and adjust it. If you are wearing a drysuit, be sure that the sternum strap does not obstruct the drysuit inflator hose or valve.
• Adjust the shoulder straps.

When I get my Ranger set up properly most or all the weight is on my hips.
You may have a sizing problem with your bc. The waist portion may be the wrong size or not adjusted properly.

If you are still having problems contact Your local dive shop that handles Zeagle and talk to them about the problem.

Going diving tomorrow, the ranger seems a perfect fit for me right now. When I put it on this time I'll make sure I loosen the shoulder straps up so I can get the weight to rest on my hips before I tighten the shoulder straps. Think that should about do it as I pretty much do everything else already in the list.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom