making a wet suit semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 7mm john suit I just bought for cold water diving. My buddy who has a dry suit thinks that I can dive this winter and be comfy. Can my suit be sealed up some more to keep the water movement down? Its a neosport suit and I just order a hood as well. I'm thinking I could use some silicone gripper tape on the ankles and wrists. What say the hive mind?

I have a 7mm john suit I just bought for cold water diving. My buddy who has a dry suit thinks that I can dive this winter and be comfy. ....//.....

Comfy is not gonna happen. Yes, you can cold water dive in it -down to near freezing. Just let go of any idea of "comfy". If you are one of those types who can "brass up" then learn the way of "one and done". -It is doable, welcome to the pack.

If the suit fits you snug to tight thats the best so that water is not migrating in and out of the suit. Also what material it is made of makes a difference, the stretch suits compress and loose their insulating properties. The best material is the old '50's-'60's suits which didn't compress much but they were a bear to get on.

I wear a stretch 7mm farmer john down to 45 degrees but am looking for a steel 72 to dive and my buddy gives me the finger and sits in the truck with the heater on.

Down to zero look for a suit using the old closed cell neopreame, probably cost you more than a drysuit.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Thanks for the responses. I'm back on the PC so I can type. Scubatoys was nice enough to set me up with a XXL bottom, and XXXL top. I bought this hood. 7mm hood. I tried on the suit the other day and the arms are loose but the chest is tight. I guess I'm not going to be able to do it, I think the water will be flowing.

I'm very cold tolerant, I generally dive a 3/2 suit and got this one to go much colder. I have 5mm gloves, and I have no clue on the boots, they feel about 3mm. I'm hoping the hood will help with the water flow.

....//... I guess I'm not going to be able to do it, I think the water will be flowing.....//......

Water will not flow. You will prevail. You hit the water well rested, well fed, in control, and in a stronger mental state than your dive buddy. Safety checks, dive, half hour max and back at a depth that guarantees not even close to deco. Anyone can say what they want, but you were there. Shark River Inlet (NJ) in the winter does it for me...

LOL, thanks man. I think I'll be ok, I don't get cold like other people. I don't know why. But anyway.

LOL, I'll make sure to keep the blood sugar level high for the heat.

Back
Top Bottom