Making a Salvo light head rear clip-off point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.:
My Salvo light has no place at the rear of the light head to attach a clip. A friend of mine has machine tools and has offered to try and make something--it would basically be a split ring clamp that tightens around the rearmost part of the head, right by the cord. The new fitting would have a hole or something to attach a bolt snap to.

So, assuming that you had a new fitting back there, what would be the best way to use it?

1. Use a single-ended snap and tie it to the new fitting with cave line/bungee
2. Use a double ended bolt snap on the new fitting
3. Something I haven't thought of?

(I'm thinking #1, so you get the benefits of a flexible joint... but there may be a good case for using a double-ender which I haven't considered. However, a fitting with an aperture big enough for a double-ender to bite will be bigger too.)

Any thoughts?
After reading the responses to date (and noting that I went with the cave line and bungee method for my Salvo), I would definitely be interested in something that worked with option #1.

Note that I would use the attachment point to simply tie the same cave line and bungee loop I currently have, but it would be nice to have something that felt more secure than the cave line I'm using now. (It has held up fine so far, but it still makes me nervous with only friction on that hairline crack keeping things in place.) Note that if it ever did let go and slip, it would merely slid up the power cord, since there's really no place for it to go. So it would be highly unlikely to be a huge problem or actually cause loss of the light (unless the dangling light head became entangled), but still, yes: more secure is good.

Good to know. I'll post an update when I have it... it's good to have a friend who is into machining little bits of metal and plastic to solve weird little problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom