Making a move from jacket to back inflate, for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have looked deep within myself and after much teeth gritting, have concluded that I would like to explore a move from jacket-style to back inflate. The primary reason is that I feel a bit constricted in the jacket BCD I've used for three years, and it seems to be a great deal more material than I would prefer. I think I may also have sized it a bit wrong, and it would be good to find something that fits better, while providing a more streamlined profile underwater.

Because we dive exclusively in warm ocean water (75F+), and because we travel either by air or by small vehicle to dive sites, I'd also like to take the opportunity to get a travel-style BCD. A few days of research and pricing for options <$300 keep pointing to the Aqualung Zuma (newest model) and the Zeagle Scout.

The former seems to have solved one of its long-standing durability issues with a sturdier bladder. The Zuma also has ditchable weights, which I've grown accustomed to in my existing BCD.
The latter appears to have a more consistent reputation for reliability. I've never used a weightbelt for any appreciable duration, but would need to with the Scout.

Other than back-inflate and travel-readiness, other desirable traits include pockets for occasional small-ish items like a SMB, defog, found-trash, backup-light, a 6" hoagie. We do maybe 30-40 dives a year, warm salt as previously mentioned, and yearn for shore dives over boat.

Thoughts, especially from those who have tried out the latest Zuma and the Scout, would be greatly appreciated. I am afraid it'll be difficult to work out an in-water try-out before I decide. Other back-inflate suggestions are also quite welcome if I perhaps missed an obvious choice.

Cheers,
Amw 5G

I have looked deep within myself and after much teeth gritting, have concluded that I would like to explore a move from jacket-style to back inflate. The primary reason is that I feel a bit constricted in the jacket BCD I've used for three years, and it seems to be a great deal more material than I would prefer. I think I may also have sized it a bit wrong, and it would be good to find something that fits better, while providing a more streamlined profile underwater.

Because we dive exclusively in warm ocean water (75F+), and because we travel either by air or by small vehicle to dive sites, I'd also like to take the opportunity to get a travel-style BCD. A few days of research and pricing for options <$300 keep pointing to the Aqualung Zuma (newest model) and the Zeagle Scout.

The former seems to have solved one of its long-standing durability issues with a sturdier bladder. The Zuma also has ditchable weights, which I've grown accustomed to in my existing BCD.
The latter appears to have a more consistent reputation for reliability. I've never used a weightbelt for any appreciable duration, but would need to with the Scout.

Other than back-inflate and travel-readiness, other desirable traits include pockets for occasional small-ish items like a SMB, defog, found-trash, backup-light, a 6" hoagie. We do maybe 30-40 dives a year, warm salt as previously mentioned, and yearn for shore dives over boat.

Thoughts, especially from those who have tried out the latest Zuma and the Scout, would be greatly appreciated. I am afraid it'll be difficult to work out an in-water try-out before I decide. Other back-inflate suggestions are also quite welcome if I perhaps missed an obvious choice.

Cheers,
Amw 5G

Take a deep breath...you are going to get lots of recommendations including skipping right to BPW but for a back inflate BCD I love my Oceanic Islander. Oceanic Islander BC, Black/Blue at LeisurePro

It fulfills all your requests, small but usable pockets, weight integrated, well made, light and easily packable. I can fit it, reg set, wetsuit, mask/snorkel and all incidentals into my carryon. I have had it for 4+ years and still looks new except for a small amount of discoloration on grommets.

Indeed that does seem like a nice bit of kit. Thank you for pointing it out to me, it's much appreciated.

My wife is doing well with her Zuma. It is very light and minimalist which I like. I could see myself in one. I wish the capacity for my size were less and I would consider one. This is not a HD BC for cold water. If you dive in a swimsuit and rash guard through a shorty or 3/2 it will be fine. If you plan to try and stick 30 pounds of lead in it to sink a 7mm farmer john, get something else. The Zuma is a minimalist, warm water, recreational super light weight and super packable travel BC and it serves that purpose well.

N

You might also look at a Zeagle Covert. They're about a $100+ more than the Scout but are weight integrated. It's the new Zeagle travel BC. Covert - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Or the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe, which is a soft backplate design. You can add either weight system to it also. Express Tech Deluxe - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems About $350 new.

Search around on the web, some online scuba dealers may still have the older standard Express Tech - they were around $275 new.

Another to consider in a travel BC is the ScubaPro Litehawk. SCUBAPRO - LITEHAWK They also sell in the $350 range afaik.

I feel a bit constricted in the jacket BCD I've used for three years, and it seems to be a great deal more material than I would prefer. I think I may also have sized it a bit wrong, and it would be good to find something that fits better, while providing a more streamlined profile underwater.

If you are planning on switching to doubles, diving in cold water, diving with a dry suit, or doing technical training, then you should get a backplate and wing. On the other hand, if you are sure that you are only going to be doing single tank, recreational warm water diving, then you should get a backplate and wing.

Seriously, LMK if you have any interest in considering this option, and I'll elaborate.

Taking mine to St. Croix on Wednesday! :)

My wife is doing well with her Zuma. It is very light and minimalist which I like. I could see myself in one. I wish the capacity for my size were less and I would consider one. This is not a HD BC for cold water. If you dive in a swimsuit and rash guard through a shorty or 3/2 it will be fine. If you plan to try and stick 30 pounds of lead in it to sink a 7mm farmer john, get something else. The Zuma is a minimalist, warm water, recreational super light weight and super packable travel BC and it serves that purpose well.

N

Nemrod- how does your better half find the pockets, that is assuming she uses them at all? At our coldest, I dive a 4/3 full & hood with #16 of weight. Seems like the lift is sufficient for that set up.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

You might also look at a Zeagle Covert. They're about a $100+ more than the Scout but are weight integrated. It's the new Zeagle travel BC. Covert - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Or the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe, which is a soft backplate design. You can add either weight system to it also. Express Tech Deluxe - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems About $350 new.

Search around on the web, some online scuba dealers may still have the older standard Express Tech - they were around $275 new.

Another to consider in a travel BC is the ScubaPro Litehawk. SCUBAPRO - LITEHAWK They also sell in the $350 range afaik.

The Covert, Express Tech Deluxe, and Litehawk are all really outside my price range. Of course 'tis the season for sales, so maybe something will come up. I especially like the look of the Litehawk, if I could get some pockets for it. Thank you for the suggestions.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

If you are planning on switching to doubles, diving in cold water, diving with a dry suit, or doing technical training, then you should get a backplate and wing. On the other hand, if you are sure that you are only going to be doing single tank, recreational warm water diving, then you should get a backplate and wing.

Seriously, LMK if you have any interest in considering this option, and I'll elaborate.

Taking mine to St. Croix on Wednesday! :)

Let me tell you a little story, doctormike.
When my dearest Grandma 5G was in her last days, she drew all us grandchildren together. We made a semi-circle around her bed, each placing one hand on the old corn-husk mattress that had born her for nearly a century. With a great deal of trouble, she lifted her head and in turn looked us each in the eye. And then she began to speak. It was the voice of someone who knew the time had come to shed the mortal coil. She spoke with a sad firmness, and without a whisper of fear.
"First," said Meemaw 5G, "do not be afraid to show kindness to the less fortunate, even if you don't stand to gain anything from it." We nodded our heads, but didn't dare interrupt.
"Second, there is no honor in stealing the love of another."
"Lastly," and here, she raised a gnarled finger to the air as if stroke the words themselves, "you must never, ever dive with a backplate and wing. It is the devil's own instrument from which he calls forth his hoary demons of the deep."
And suddenly, as the last word escaped her cracked lips, the light in her eyes blinked out into the infinite darkness that surrounded the house. We bowed our heads, took the hands of those next to us, and swore in one voice that we would honor and obey. Honor and obey the wisest words of the wisest woman who ever put feet upon the earth.
I intend to keep that oath, doctormike. Do not ask me to do otherwise.

"Lastly," and here, she raised a gnarled finger to the air as if stroke the words themselves, "you must never, ever dive with a backplate and wing. It is the devil's own instrument from which he calls forth his hoary demons of the deep."
And suddenly, as the last word escaped her cracked lips, the light in her eyes blinked out into the infinite darkness that surrounded the house. We bowed our heads, took the hands of those next to us, and swore in one voice that we would honor and obey. Honor and obey the wisest words of the wisest woman who ever put feet upon the earth.
I intend to keep that oath, doctormike. Do not ask me to do otherwise.

Sorry, but she was wrong. As you can clearly see, the devil dives a Scubapro Equator. His wife seems to have something with weight integration by Zeagle...

keys2012 - 40.jpg

I have a Genesis Omni and it works for me.

I dive a scout and have for several years, even put my daughters in them. Great BCs. Probably have well over 300 dives on mine, cooler water to nice warm water. It has weight pockets mounted on the tank band, they're ditchable, you just have to practice with them. I've never had to use a weight belt with it. I can't tell you enough good things about the scout, it would be on a short list if my wife only let me have one BC and I didn't dive doubles. The shop I teach thru even has them in the rental gear and they are holding up well.
Now my wife got a Zuma for Christmas last year. Was the best gift that I could come up with, even tho she didn't want a new BC. She dove it to not hurt my feelings and discovered how much she really likes it. It packs and travels well, and is comfortable. On a trip to the springs last winter she let a few of her friends try it and they bought one when they got home. She has about 30 dives on it and it is now her BC of choice. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom