Makena Landing Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's why you're moving here isn't it Al?

Hurry up and sell that place! :D I hear apartments at Harbor Lights are only going for $300k now! That's only up from $20k 10 years ago!

Just wondering how you tell gender? I have looked at dozens of web pages and other than the presence of pups, none described how to sex a monk seal.

halemano:
Just wondering how you tell gender? I have looked at dozens of web pages and other than the presence of pups, none described how to sex a monk seal.
I'm not sure either -- just that everybody who's decided they can tell has called it a "she".

Could partially be the size (the females are significantly larger than the males).

All I can find are sites claiming audults reach 7 ft lengths, 400-600 lbs with females slightly larger and a few sites claiming males to 7 ft, 400lbs, females to 7.5 ft, 600lbs. I guess if it's over 7 ft and 400lbs it's probably female, unless it tries to practice mounting.

I have no clue how to tell, but I was told by 3 different divers that it was a "she" when I called it a "he" ... though I doubt "he" really cares all that much.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
that's why you're moving here isn't it Al?

Hurry up and sell that place! :D I hear apartments at Harbor Lights are only going for $300k now! That's only up from $20k 10 years ago!
We'll list things in the spring when prices are expected to rise in this area. There is a possibility that we'll go to the big island instead, a lot depends on me being able to work in the dive industry full time and I'll move wherever that is most likely.

I'd think Maui would provide many more work opportunities than the BI simply because we have so many more tourists and residents both. With the number of sucessful shops over here I'd say there is plenty of work to go around. :)

Hope you're right Tim. We're going to explore the BI and see if someone can use me there before we commit. I hate living here but I'm doing what I love full time. It'd be dumb to leave that and end up working at Wally World :)

Tim,

I fully expect you to produce a monk seal sighting when I'm over there now.

-becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom