Make sure you use the right o-ring on your valve!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only size.... Durometer is also VERY VERY important...

Otherwise, it doesn't last long.....

BEEN THERE DONE THAT...

I think 112 is a DIN regulator O-ring and a 014 is a yoke O-ring.

The 014 is .489" inside diameter and .070" cross section while the 112 is .487" i.d. and .103" cross section.

So, the rings are virtually identical in size (actually the tolerance is .003" so they have, to all intents and purposes, the same inside diameter). However, the DIN O-ring is made from thicker material.

I believe 90 is the usual durometer rating for both.

Very few dive shops seems to know any of this.

003 - this o-ring goes around a plug on the SPG that fits into your high-pressure hose (blew this one three weeks ago).
Actually, to be pedantic, a pair of O-rings go on the HP "spool" that fits between the HP hose and the SPG.

If you go to the SPG page at DiveRite Express, you can see a spool (part RG27AS). You can find HP spools with or without the wide middle disk-shaped bit (the ones without it just look like tiny metal sausages), but the concept is the same.

Of course, the purpose of the spool is to allow the SPG to swivel. O-rings that seal moving parts together are called "dynamic" O-rings and must be slightly softer than O-rings that seal non-moving parts together (which are called "static" O-rings) -- they'd wear out too quickly if they were too hard. The tiny 003-size dynamic O-rings on the spool are durometer 75, while the rest of the O-rings used on tanks and hoses are somewhat harder static O-rings of durometer 90, which means they can better hold against pressure without squeezing through the cracks ("extruding").

Anyway, if you see a stream of bubbles (hopefully tiny ones :biggrin:) coming from where your SPG hose attaches to your SPG (or under the boot / inside the console), you have probably worn out the O-rings on the spool. Often, you'll first notice bubbles when you turn the SPG, but eventually, you'll get a constant stream if you don't replace the O-rings. (Personally, I replace them at the first sign of bubblage, as I don't want bits of dying O-ring wandering into my SPG's innards, and I have a spare spool in my O-ring collection, too. It's not hard, but if you're not good with tools, let your LDS or someone else do it -- it shouldn't even be five minutes' work.)

I think 112 is a DIN regulator O-ring and a 014 is a yoke O-ring.

The 014 is .489" inside diameter and .070" cross section while the 112 is .487" i.d. and .103" cross section.

So, the rings are virtually identical in size (actually the tolerance is .003" so they have, to all intents and purposes, the same inside diameter). However, the DIN O-ring is made from thicker material.

I stand corrected. I've never actually measured the sizes, but I know the Yoke and the DIN are almost identical in inside diameter, but the DIN is substantially fatter (that's a technical term).

Thanks for clarifying.

Actually, to be pedantic, a pair of O-rings go on the HP "spool" that fits between the HP hose and the SPG.

If you go to the SPG page at DiveRite Express, you can see a spool (part RG27AS). You can find HP spools with or without the wide middle disk-shaped bit (the ones without it just look like tiny metal sausages), but the concept is the same.

Of course, the purpose of the spool is to allow the SPG to swivel. O-rings that seal moving parts together are called "dynamic" O-rings and must be slightly softer than O-rings that seal non-moving parts together (which are called "static" O-rings) -- they'd wear out too quickly if they were too hard. The tiny 003-size dynamic O-rings on the spool are durometer 75, while the rest of the O-rings used on tanks and hoses are somewhat harder static O-rings of durometer 90, which means they can better hold against pressure without squeezing through the cracks ("extruding").

Anyway, if you see a stream of bubbles (hopefully tiny ones :biggrin:) coming from where your SPG hose attaches to your SPG (or under the boot / inside the console), you have probably worn out the O-rings on the spool. Often, you'll first notice bubbles when you turn the SPG, but eventually, you'll get a constant stream if you don't replace the O-rings. (Personally, I replace them at the first sign of bubblage, as I don't want bits of dying O-ring wandering into my SPG's innards, and I have a spare spool in my O-ring collection, too. It's not hard, but if you're not good with tools, let your LDS or someone else do it -- it shouldn't even be five minutes' work.)

Good info! Thanks for it.

I doubt you could get a DIN O-Ring into a yoke valve.

I have a set of HP steel tanks that have Thermo Valves. These don't take the same face O-RIng as a standard Yoke valve. When I replaced one, I used a softer ring, and I kept having trouble getting air trapped behind the O-Ring, and sealing the reg to the valve even with a purged system. It slowly got worse until one day the LDS just couldn't get the fill whip off the tank after a fill. They had to wait about 15 min until the pressure behind the O-Ring equalized enough to remove it. When I replaced the O-Ring with one of known durometer, the problem went away.

Tom

funny how they put massive rubber o-rings in faucets and garden hoses but they put TINY ones in yoke valves...Ill take the DIN please, thank you....

funny how they put massive rubber o-rings in faucets and garden hoses but they put TINY ones in yoke valves...Ill take the DIN please, thank you....
Ah, but the force is pressure times area. The smaller the O-ring, the less force exerted upon it.

If mere size mattered, the -003 O-rings on your HP spool would be completely laughable. Instead, they serve their purpose quite well, indeed.

(Incidentally, I don't know about your garden hoses, but mine seem to often lose their watertightness even in the face of the very low pressures involved. I'd hardly hold them up as shining examples of sealing technology -- they're just big and chunky and work more or less adequately in a low-pressure, low-precision system.)

I see, I was wondering why spool rings were so tiny - thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom