Make sure you use the right o-ring on your valve!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxHockeyGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hadn't planned on posting about this until last night when I learned what caused the incident. Last weekend I had an o-ring blow out at depth, we weren't very deep, only 30 ft but it did force me into a shared air ascent. The cause of the problem was I put the wrong o-ring on my yoke valve. I bought an o-ring kit which has many different types of o-rings in it and there are two different o-rings in that kit that will fit the yoke valve, and they are very very similar. Well I put the wrong one on and it blew. The wrong size o-ring is every so slightly too large but it fits in well enough. The correct o-ring goes in a little more easily and is slightly smaller than the other nearly identical o-ring. I'm sure I'll get flamed for being careless, this is ScubaBoard after all, but I thought this post might help someone so it's out here. I plan on buying a set of just yoke o-rings so I can't do this again.

The forst set of O-rings were bought from an LDS?

DivingsInMyBlood:
whoever trys to flame you would just be a jerk, your putting your hand up to your mistake and helping others out and letting them know at the same time.
Man, after that, I guess I better put the gasoline away. :D

Glad you were able to make it back in one piece and share your hard earned lesson!

all4scuba05:
The forst set of O-rings were bought from an LDS?

Yes, the o-ring kit was bought in person at ScubaToys, they are my LDS. There is now some doubt as to whether or not the wrong o-ring was in at the time it blew on me. That being said there are two o-rings in that kit that will fit on a yoke valve and only one is right so the moral of the story remains the same. Make certain you're using the right o-ring. I picked up a bunch of yoke o-rings and I will be storing them separately so I will always be certain to use the right size.

o-rings and their applications can be tricky, glad you learned something

Is there a standard yoke o-ring size and material? And if so, what are the measurements or o-ring size number?

Dash Riprock:
Is there a standard yoke o-ring size and material? And if so, what are the measurements or o-ring size number?

Size 014 is the standard yoke o-ring. There are rubber, viton, and I believe silicon materials that are used for o-rings as well as probably some exotics out there.

I have an O-Ring "Box Kit" from Innovative Scuba Concepts. I see these everywhere. The only documentation is a statement: "Use on Tank Valves, HP & LP Air Hoses." It also says "003, 010, 011, 014, 112, 214 'O' Rings".

Based on the O-rings I have sitting on my desk right now, I'm going to make a guess that the numbers correspond to diameters in millimeters)

003 - this o-ring goes around a plug on the SPG that fits into your high-pressure hose (blew this one three weeks ago).

010 - probably a low pressure hose -- low pressure hoses are a tiny bit smaller in diameter than high-pressure hoses.

010 - probably the o-ring for the high pressure hose

014 - O-Ring for Yoke-mounted first stage

112 - O-ring for DIN-mounted first stage -- important to note that this O-ring is significantly fatter

214 - O-ring for tank valve

I'm guessing you used a DIN O-Ring on a Yoke adapter. It's an easy mistake to make because they're similar in diameter, although the DIN is a lot fatter.

Hope this information helps in the future.
Wilton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom