Make noise underwater - bike bell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my canister light to get my buddies attention. There's also pounding your fist into an open palm. If those two things don't work, I find a better buddy.

Yawn...silent yawn....

Yawn...silent yawn....

Sad to say but there's one local diver that I'll never dive with again and the final straw that broke the camels back was that he was unresponsive to light signals. Maybe one day his experience and situational awareness will match his bravado and we will dive together again.

Sad to say but there's one local diver that I'll never dive with again and the final straw that broke the camels back was that he was unresponsive to light signals. Maybe one day his experience and situational awareness will match his bravado and we will dive together again.

Have you considered that maybe he was just trying to get away?

In my experience underwater quacker/bangers, whatever, are way over used. At a busy dive site, particularly on liveaboards, the number of people at any one site can be high and when you have numerous divers quacking/banging it becomes very annoying very quickly. For a buddy team using them as required and only when necessary I don't see the problem. Personally I don't use them but the bulk of my diving is local with the same buddy and I have a can light which works very well for signaling. I do own a DiveAlert Air horn but the topside version only and always carry it when I'm boat diving as a just in case, it's stupid loud. Another problem with noise makers is it's often hard to locate the direction of the noise especially in low viz, water does funny things to sound. If someone wants to use one go for it as with much of diving it's down to personal preference and individual requirements/needs.

We use the quackers in warm water. Need to be used sparingly. In cold water with hoods we don't bother. We can't hear them.

Quackers are absolutely the most annoying thing to hear underwater. If you have to show the lobster to everyone who's already seen 300 of them before, at least just use a shaker if you must have a noise maker, at least they are quieter and not as disturbing, and keep in mind if you have such a hard time getting your dive buddies attention, you need to work on your diving not get a noise maker.

Like a pilot, scanning his instrument panel gauges in a fixed pattern, a diver should be scanning for his dive buddy on a regular basis.

Typically when I need to get my dive buddies attention, I will simply hover and wait a few seconds for her to bring her eyes back to me and that's all it takes, no noises required. If your dive buddy isn't routinely looking at you, your buddy needs some education.

This is what underwater noise makers are

I think the proper response to these sort of noise makers is to be a good dive buddy, swim over to them, and turn off their air...

Back
Top Bottom