Trip Report Make Cozumel Great Again: Trip Report, June – July 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The title of this thread made me dig up a poster I took a picture of in a window of an art shop just outside of the square a few years ago.

And the truly scary thing is that there are people that really believe this ^ hysterical nonsense. :yeahbaby:

What is this activity near the car ferry dock on Cozumel? Some FB rumors suggest another cruise dock, which I think would effectively kill the reefs and the island. Anyone know what they're doing?

That seems like a pretty rinky little set-up to be part of a major project like a new cruise ship pier, I'm kinda skeptical that's what's happening there. And given the location, and typical northerly current direction, I still can't imagine a new pier there would, "kill the reefs and the island", any more than the last couple did (and I'm as anti-cruise ship as anyone.)

We did Sea of Cortez staying in La Paz, but yes, the boat rides are long First dive of the day was around 11 AM by the time you got in the water. The boats were doing 3 dives per day and we'd get back around 6 pm. La Paz had some great food and a nice town, but if you can swing it a liveaboard would be great to get some extra dives in. A full week might become repetitive though. We didn't mind because of the high quality, but if you don't want to repeat sites possibly a liveaboard is the better option as they could reach out farther probably. We would like to go back and probably will someday but options are limited which is why Cozumel has been our go-to spot for so long now.

@BrewingDiver What terrestrial dive shop in La Paz did you go with that offers 3 dives a day? Is that the norm for them?

Yes, it's massive. The field is probably 30 feet wide extending from shore out 50 yards then ells south another 20-30 yards. Tons of concrete and rebar and fencing. There's also a small airplane halfway from the dock to the rubble. Found a few older clips pre-Gopro.

The small airplane.

The rubble overview.

Does the in-house dive shop at Hotel Barracuda (Dive Paradise, correct?) allow solo diving? Do they have easy self-service for afternoon and night dives, e.g. tanks just sitting around for guests to take?

Does the in-house dive shop at Hotel Barracuda (Dive Paradise, correct?) allow solo diving? Do they have easy self-service for afternoon and night dives, e.g. tanks just sitting around for guests to take?

Last time I was there was last September and the kiosk there was closed. Not sure if closed permanently or temporarily. They moved the DP shop a few doors down next to Rock n Java. We left and rented tanks there and returned to dive. It's about 100 yards to walk. So in that respect, if someone will rent tanks to you then there is no one on site to stop you.

The year before when the kiosk was opened, they rented a tank to me and I dived solo. The first day the guy seemed edgy and said that solo diving was not recommended (but he wasn't going to deny me) but seemed satisified when I told him I'm solo certified and do lots of solo dives working as a dm. He didn't bat an eye a few days later.

But this is Mexico and what one guy allowed or disallowed yesterday has little to do with what another guy allows or disallows tomorrow.

So I'm not sure of the situation now. When the kiosk was open, they kep the rinse tanks full and with a pool and food right there it was very convenient. One year we stayed there we had the first floor room with sliding door to a patio right next to the kiosk. They gave us tanks for the night dive, left at 5pm, and just told us to leave empty by the door. Without the kiosk, it is not as convenient as some of the other places but not too bad.

One other note, there is no place close to park if you have your own car. There is parking at Punta Langosta about a quarter mile away. Not too bad if you drop off and pick up gear at Barracuda entrance. You might get away parking in the Mega/Soriano garage across the street but if you get caught... it's only for customers.

This was as of July 2019; Dive Paradise shop located at Hotel Cozumel Resort changed there policy they would not rent to solo divers. I've stayed there for years and was very disappointed with this change of policy. Were talking 20 feet max depth shore diving. I usually use it for a check out dive and a few night dive's.

I just let it go knowing it is Mexico and hoped they might change the policy over time. The nice gentleman, Angel that runs the shop for how many years? He was very apologetic I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a tank from him and just went out to relax and get some underwater time. Hotel Cozumel Resort is right next to Scuba Club that does allow solo shore diving.

I believe this change of policy was made after 2 divers went missing that summer. One diver was diving up north of town with a underwater scooter doing deep dives and tragically never returned. The other diver was a DM or in training to be, that went missing but the details were never clear if he actually ever was missing from a dive or never was diving? IMO, both of these accidents really shouldn't have changed the policy at Hotel Cozumel Resort.

Has anyone been to HCR to report on what the policy is now on solo shore diving?

Waiting to pull the trigger on another Cozumel trip,
Keepdivin

@BrewingDiver What terrestrial dive shop in La Paz did you go with that offers 3 dives a day? Is that the norm for them?
We used Club Cantamar, but it was like 13 years ago. 3 dives per day is probably normal, because of the long travel time. Boats were large, with lots of room to spread out all over at least at the time, but pretty slow, so we were out like 10 hours.

That seems like a pretty rinky little set-up to be part of a major project like a new cruise ship pier, I'm kinda skeptical that's what's happening there. And given the location, and typical northerly current direction, I still can't imagine a new pier there would, "kill the reefs and the island", any more than the last couple did (and I'm as anti-cruise ship as anyone.)
Sorry, it's a fourth pier. Their greediness will kill the island and the reefs.

Inician trabajos del cuarto muelle de Cozumel

Hey, I'm not defending a new pier, at all, or any new development, for that matter, but especially not anything intended to further placate and perpetuate the cruise industry. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom