Major Freak Out - What should I have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, do yall think recreational divers should even be taken to this dive site? While I understand I am responsible for my own safety, I still think the DM has a responsibility to stay within recreational limits. That being said, for those of you who know Devils Throat, do you consider it to be within recreational limits? Is it really considered just a swim through even though a. There is no real exit for long stretches b. There is no light at all in places c. It is an overhead environment at 130 feet d. There are places where two divers could not fit side by side?

Absolutely not...it is one of those dives that if everything goes perfectly you get a cool little trip through a very tight swim through but if something were to go wrong it could end badly. It is deeper than recreational limits and there are points on the dive where air sharing (if necessary) would be difficult especially for a panicking new diver. The problem is, for some reason, it is on almost everybody's Cozumel "bucket list" when, really there are MUCH better dives there :)

Last edited:
BRT, I honestly know nothing about tank sizes. We weren't diving nitrox, just 21% and started with 3000 PSI. The majority of the briefing was discussing no deco limits and reviewing signals for deco times. The DM was very thorough when going over the plan for that - it was clear that there was a possibility for a deco obligation.

We dropped in literally right on the entrance, which was the goal. During the briefing the DM mentioned that we would be in the tunnels for about 20 minutes (I've done all kinds of dives with swimthroughs and I just assumed he meant we'd be doing one after another for about 20 minutes) What he actually meant was there was no exit at all for up to 20 minutes. They ended up finishing in 15 minutes because as I later found out, the other divers were able to signal him that I had swum out, and he was trying to exit quickly to find me.

By the way, this video shows the entrance where I panicked. It's at 00:02:02

[video=youtube;xU3LPtvmJyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU3LPtvmJyY[/video]

Last edited:
I've done the Devil's Throat three times. Once was enough, its not that great and can be challenging for a new or in this case, inexperienced, diver.

I hope the OP will keep an open mind and listen to the constructive criticism from everyone regarding training, equipment, problem-solving, pre-dive planning, etc.

At the end of the day, you made a decision and came home safely. Well done.

Worrying about what the DM may have done wrong or whether or not this is a recreational dive won't help you become a better, safer diver.

It's all a learning curve. I think you did a pretty good self analysis afterwards.

You took responsibility for yourself, recognized your limits and kept panic at bay. You have some good suggestions to act on from the thread. IMHO you deserve a pat on the back for what you did right and being willing to put yourself out her for others to learn from your incident.

it was clear that there was a possibility for a deco obligation.
I've dived with people who don't mind a little "light deco" on a single tank rec setup. But AFAIK all major agencies teach that a redundant air supply is required for deco and hard overhead dives these days. That usually means manifolded doubles with an isolation manifold. Preferably also the skills needed to close the manifold if SHTF. IMO, that's a good thing.

What would you have done if your reg freeflowed or otherwise malfunctioned and you owed deco, on a single tank rec setup? My guess is that you'd run a significant risk of getting bent. I've been told that's no fun.

BTW, thumbing the swim-through was the only sensible thing to do, IMO. What would you have done if your reg freeflowed or otherwise malfunctioned and you were inside a narrow tunnel, on a single tank rec setup? My guess is that you would have drowned. AFAIK, that's even less fun than getting bent.

I have done the PADI OWD in October 2013, the AOW, and took the PADI Deep Diver. For the record, in NONE of these courses was a SMB or DSMB ever mentioned. I had purchased the DAN big surface marker, but had never even opened it. What I finally did was hire my Deep Diver instructor to do an extra day with us and he took my DAN marker from me and at least demonstrated how it works. But I had to pay an extra $100 and say that I wanted to learn how this worked specifically for my $100. I have never used it myself. I carry it with me most times, but divemasters think I am being ridiculous carrying it and think that I bought everything in the store. I am not a tech diver. I echo a previous question "What course would I take now to be taught how to use the SMB and DSMB?" I have not seen it mentioned on any PADI course descriptions.
The other issue I wanted to bring up is that the major take home message of the deep diver course from my instructor is that if you are going deeper than 80 feet, then TAKE A PONY BOTTLE. This does not seem to be part of this discussion. Does everyone approve of going into overhead environments without redundant air?

Which course teaches deployment of a dsmb? I want to learn to do it, but haven't been able to identify the relevant course.

You can use the DIY school. There are numerous videos online to show you how, threads on ScubaBoard about it, and you can start a thread for comments once you start your training. Then you and your buddy find a spot and practice. It is not hard, it just takes some time. Also, it doesn't have to be as pretty as the videos, just get it to the surface without going with it, or having line all over the place to get tangled.

I learned to deploy on a dive, but I have prior experience with lift bags which are similar.

I'm sure a local instructor or DM would teach you the skills for a price, it does not have to be a particular course in order to be taught.

Bob

So, do yall think recreational divers should even be taken to this dive site? While I understand I am responsible for my own safety, I still think the DM has a responsibility to stay within recreational limits. That being said, for those of you who know Devils Throat, do you consider it to be within recreational limits? Is it really considered just a swim through even though a. There is no real exit for long stretches b. There is no light at all in places c. It is an overhead environment at 130 feet d. There are places where two divers could not fit side by side?

I have been to Cozumel three times, I think, and I have not done Devil's Throat. Knowing that Cozumel is full of swim-throughs, I tell the DM before we set out that I don't do swim-throughs where I can't see the light from the other end. If I would need to carry a light to see the way, then it's not something I want to do. Actually, I tell the DM that I do swim-throughs only reluctantly, as I don't find them much fun, and what I really prefer is to do is see the marine life. Swim-throughs are interesting as a test of one's buoyancy and control skills, but if I want to challenge myself, I can do that in a pool. I'm the customer, and I'm not going to let a Cozumel DM tell me what dives I should do.

BRT, I honestly know nothing about tank sizes. We weren't diving nitrox, just 21% and started with 3000 PSI. The majority of the briefing was discussing no deco limits and reviewing signals for deco times. The DM was very thorough when going over the plan for that - it was clear that there was a possibility for a deco obligation.

This is a frightening thing to read.
You did a dive after being told that you might have a deco obligation, while not knowing how to plan for your gas requirements or even how much gas you'd be carrying?
Now, realistically, I've dove the Throat several times, and never gone into (unintentional) deco. Even when I did it wearing a Suunto Stinger (about as conservative as a dive computer gets...). So I think when you were told this, it was more to stress the importance of watching your computer than anything else.
But this does point up the "trust me" nature of your dive.
While there is a certain degree of "trust me" on all training dives, that doesn't apply here.

I have been to Cozumel three times, I think, and I have not done Devil's Throat. Knowing that Cozumel is full of swim-throughs, I tell the DM before we set out that I don't do swim-throughs where I can't see the light from the other end. If I would need to carry a light to see the way, then it's not something I want to do. Actually, I tell the DM that I do swim-throughs only reluctantly, as I don't find them much fun, and what I really prefer is to do is see the marine life. Swim-throughs are interesting as a test of one's buoyancy and control skills, but if I want to challenge myself, I can do that in a pool. I'm the customer, and I'm not going to let a Cozumel DM tell me what dives I should do.

And this is exactly what a person who is uncomfortable with enclosed, dark areas should do. Thumbs up. :)

I'd like to echo BRT and say - that's some really excellent gas management for a near-panic deep dive. Congrats on that. Starting out, I had a couple comparable situations and my gas didn't last anywhere near that long.

Even if I don't have a reel, I always carry a SMB in drift locations. Something at the surface is better than getting hit by a boat. And anywhere there are ledges, swim throughs, or it's near dusk, 1-2 small lights. Also, when I went to Coz, I made sure I knew how to say "Can you call the [boat name], please" in spanish. That was handy.

I'm glad you made it back safely and are using it as a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom