Major Freak Out - What should I have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the big picture is key here. equipment is no substitute for state of mind.

i would rather a buddy bail on me than carry on trying to signal he needs to bail past his comfort zone.

I did communicate with other two divers. We made eye contact, I let them know that I was okay, and I motioned that I wasn't going through. They had a clear understanding of what was happening. The DM was too far ahead for me to communicate with.

Ktomlinson, I was monitoring EVERYTHING :) It was the only thing that was keeping me calm.

Thanks for the other responses. I agree, as it has always been my philosophy that anyone can end a dive for any reason and that should be respected.

Sorry, I didn't see that you had communicated that. I don't think your at fault for anything then. A smb would have been nice, and I'm sure you know that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? In OW and AOW I was never taught how to use an SMB and never had it suggested to me to own one.

That was true even just a few years ago. But now PADI does require you to deploy an SMB at the surface for OW certification.

In my previous post I also added that it should be a DSMB and you need to have a spool with an appropriate amount of line. 100' is plenty.

When I first went to Cozumel I had 20 dives. From what I had researched I knew I should have an SMB. I bought a nice 6' DSMB but never knew about the spool with line.

The DM had a spare spool and when I would need to surface, he would ask for my DSMB and attach his line to it and deploy it. I would ascend and grab the spool and all was well. After that first day, I walked to several dive shops and unfortunately could only find reels, no spools. But when I returned home, that was the very next item I added to my inventory.

The difference between the SMB and the DSMB is that you can deploy the DSMB at depth. It has a over pressure relief valve while an SMB does not.

Really? In OW and AOW I was never taught how to use an SMB and never had it suggested to me to own one. I'm surprised this is considered common knowledge. I have only seen a few other recreational divers carrying one, and they have typically been DM's themselves or rescue divers. I see now that it's a good idea though and I will definitely invest in one and learn to use it.

As far as a light, I use one when I anticipate being in a low-lit area, but I had no reason to think I would that day. I'm used to doing swim throughs without needing one.

I understand that my safety is my responsibility, but had I known more detail about this dive, I would have known that I would not feel comfortable doing it. Note, one of the other divers had been certified just a few days before. I guess I naively assumed a DM wouldn't take that person on an advanced dive. I obviously should not have assumed anything, but that leaves me questioning dive ops...just how much information do I need to gather about a dive site before I agree to it? Or does this speak to my inexperience and I need to hone my skills before diving again? OR Should recreational divers even be allowed to attempt this site?

Someone once told me that your Open Water Diver card is nothing more than a "learner's permit". The use of a DSMB is not taught in most open water courses but then again diving to 130' into an overhead environment on a single tank with no light isn't taught either ;-) A light is a good idea on any dive (it can be incredibly useful if the visibility goes south). It is your responsibility to learn as much as you can about any dive site you visit...especially when you travel. The DM will give a briefing but it never hurts to ask..."Is there any overhead"..."Am I okay with no light". Remember you are responsible for your own safety on every dive. You showed good control over panic by waiting and calming yourself down...now all you need is more experience and a commitment to ask more questions and not assume the DM has your well-being foremost on his mind :)

Really? In OW and AOW I was never taught how to use an SMB and never had it suggested to me to own one.

That's a common enough deficiency in most OW and AOW curricula. I wasn't either, but I did know that getting separated from the group was a very real possibility, especially on drift dives. And from there it's not much of a step to realizing that I needed to be carrying an SMB. Did you not understand that being separated was possible? How did you plan to deal with it when it happened?

I'm surprised this is considered common knowledge. I have only seen a few other recreational divers carrying one, and they have typically been DM's themselves or rescue divers.

Or, they had them and you didn't know it. Mine typically sits in a mesh pocket attached to the bottom of my backplate. It's big (30lb lift, so it doubles as redundant lift), but you aren't likely to notice it, even if you take an unusual interest in my backside.

I see now that it's a good idea though and I will definitely invest in one and learn to use it.

Excellent idea.

As far as a light, I use one when I anticipate being in a low-lit area, but I had no reason to think I would that day. I'm used to doing swim throughs without needing one.

Expect the unexpected... That's how we stay safe in this hobby.
Pretty much every reef dive has at least the possibility of a swim through. Or a critter back in a hole. Or under a ledge. Even if you don't actually NEED a light, they're good to have.

I understand that my safety is my responsibility, but had I known more detail about this dive, I would have known that I would not feel comfortable doing it.

If you knew that you'd be uncomfortable in close or low light situations, then you should have asked specifically if those condition would pertain.

Note, one of the other divers had been certified just a few days before. I guess I naively assumed a DM wouldn't take that person on an advanced dive.

Different people reach different skill levels at different rates. Kim (the brunette in my picture) is the newbie of our little group, with about 100 dives. But she took to diving instantly, with a SAC rate I will never match along with excellent buoyancy and trim right from the start. She did the Devils Throat with less than 20 dives under her weight belt, and was more "ready" for it than others on the boat with considerably more dive time.

I obviously should not have assumed anything, but that leaves me questioning dive ops...just how much information do I need to gather about a dive site before I agree to it?

You said that you already knew you'd be uncomfortable in tight, low light conditions. When the Dive Guide made it clear that you were going to be exploring a complex of underwater tunnels (it's obviously impossible to spend a planned 20 minutes in a simple swim through...), you should have asked about the specific conditions that would make you unable to execute the dive.

Or does this speak to my inexperience and I need to hone my skills before diving again? OR Should recreational divers even be allowed to attempt this site?

I think mostly it speaks to the far too common attitude that it's OK to do "trust me" dives. In this case, you clearly knew what to do when you were separated from your group, but instead you did a 25 minute, deep, solo dive - well beyond your training or experience - rather than follow your training.

You didn't utterly panic, and that's good. But you didn't do what you KNEW you should, either.

Frankly, you were far more at risk during the 25 minute, deep, solo dive than you could ever have been if you'd followed your training and surfaced. After all, assuming this was your first dive of the day, a 25 minute dive at 90' would put you in deco. Given that the Devils Throat lies between 90 and 130FSW, your NDLs would be a major issue.

Ktomlinson, I was monitoring EVERYTHING :) It was the only thing that was keeping me calm.

BTDT!

Well, you have all your homework from the other posters, so I'll just say you did good. You didn't go where you knew you shouldn't, you kept your head, and you made it back on the boat safe, that's pretty basic, but a successful dive.

Bob

Really? In OW and AOW I was never taught how to use an SMB and never had it suggested to me to own one. I'm surprised this is considered common knowledge.
Like you, the use of an SMB was never taught on my PADI OW or AOW course. They were discussed in the course material but I never had a skills test on them. The instructor demonstrated it during our boat dives. I think the course requirements have changed last year to include an SMB in the skills, but it doesn't require the SMB to be launched at depth - it can be inflated on the surface.

But your learning shouldn't be limited to what they teach you on courses. I recognised that an SMB is a useful piece of kit and so I bought one and carry it on every boat dive. I also encourage my dive buddies to carry their own as well, just in case we get separated. I also bought and tow a dive float on every shore dive (unless under a pier).

I also encourage you to ask lots of questions during a dive briefing, to make sure you know exactly what to expect. I sometimes get a few jibes about asking so many questions, but I take it in good humour and I'm quite happy to be known as someone who is thorough and detailed on safety matters.

In a nutshell, yes, I think the DM in your example did a pretty poor job of a few things. But the person primarily responsible for your safety is you, and so it is up to you to educate yourself, carry appropriate gear and ask any necessary questions to ensure your safety, even if it means going the extra mile to make up for the failings of others.

A great reminder that trust me dives can go wrong and a good lesson on how stretching the concept of "swim throughs" may be a bad idea.

I feel this was handled very well by scoobajay.

Deploying an DSMB is something you have to practice. To be totally honest it is one of the only skills I do practice with any frequency. It is very easy to watch your reel or spool go sailing up or down and you do not want to get it hung up on you. If you get one, then practice with some frequency.

I usually carry a DSMB with me. If I am in the Keys or other tropical location I am often the only person carrying one other than a guide. But then given a choice I do unguided dives and guides get lost sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom