Maintenance on a Mares Dragonfly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fozzyvis

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I recently bought a secondhand Mares Dragonfly jacket. Did about 30 dives with it now and I'm very happy with it.

Since it is secondhand and I can't be sure of the level of maintenance and I know divers with the same jacket have had situations where the purge valves would "jam" and stay opened I am now taking it apart to clean where necessary, check on o-rings, ...
One of those examples of the thing malfunctioning is my father-in-law during a deep dive, so I really want to check in what condition it is.

The console to control the inflator/deflating seems to have had it's fair amount of salt buildup with it's previous owner and after cleaning it, it now looks all decent and shiny again.

There is one connection that I can't take out and that's the connection to the hose that goes inside the jacket towards the valves. I've included a picture to show which type I mean. To take that out and clean it I would need to unscrew the propriety plastic "screw" that connects the system to the jacket bladder. Hope I make clear what I mean.

Someone who has the same jacket showed me the tool from Mares that's needed to open it up and it just seemed to be a cup that slides over it to get hold of the tabs on it. I can easily make such a thing myself, but I'm just wondering if that is all there is to it.

Can this just be screwed open? Normal or inverse thread (so clockwise or counter-clockwise to open)?

Hope someone can help as I prefer to do these kind of things myself.
It's a good way to learn how these things work.

regards,

Dieter

Attachments

• IMG_6606.jpg
    IMG_6606.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 232
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom