Mainit Muck No More?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prandyulo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've regularly dived Secret Bay (should be Secret Channel) and the prolliferation of critters seem to have dwindled or almost gone. One theory proposed is that the breakwater structure of Sea Springs Resort caused the critters to move somewhere else. Would anyone share their observations or comments?

I did two dives there late December and our dive guide (Abet) said the same thing. I only have Bali Indonesia's Seraya muck dive to compare it to, but I'd say that there are still interesting and rare creatures to see there. We saw different kinds of scorpionfish, lionfish, couple of gurnards, fingered dragonet, mantis shrimps, filefish, cuttlefish, but I was heartbroken a little because I expected to see a wonderpus. I think anyone who isn't spoiled by such a site will appreciate it. This reminds me... I got 5 days worth of pics from Anilao that I have to post, baaah.

possible also the construction of steam power plant might have something to do with it. I remember hearing some divers mentioning lots of pile driving (or similar sounds ) going on

maybe the nutrient rich hot spring water has been diverted? my theory is that plankton and the tiny shrimps in that area and similar muck sites like dauin feed on nutrients from volcanic springs. a lot of the critters there, specially juveniles, seem to feed on the shrimp and plankton there. with food source gone, critters would move elsewhere or starve to death.

apparently, the resort also has a drain pipe directly dumping water to the sea which could affect the critters. i miss finding different octopus species in the area. :mooner: sea springs.

such a waste.
ive been to lembeh which is generally regarded as the best muck dive in the world. id have to say that secret bay wasnt that far behind.

hello everyone,

the critters are back, at least as of Saturday. A friend informed me he took great shots of a lot of interesting critters although viz was bad and the waves were a bit rough. I wonder if the tsunami had something to do with it.

hello everyone,

the critters are back, at least as of Saturday. A friend informed me he took great shots of a lot of interesting critters although viz was bad and the waves were a bit rough. I wonder if the tsunami had something to do with it.

That's good news. I'm planning to go there to test if my lo-tech videocam can shoot macro. :)

The rough waves are common in the Mainit area during the amihan (northeast monsoon) season, I dont think it has anything to do with the tsunami. During the habagat (southwest monsoon), the opposite is true, the water is flat in the area so we dive there when the other southwest facing sites become too rough.

some of the interesting critter are back , indeed! saw a wonderpus, OGP (3 different colors), seahorse...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom