Mahukona Anchors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S0ckm0nk3y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I played hooky from work today. gkndivebum and I headed up to Mahukona in search of massive anchors rumored to be up there. He had found the larger one to the north on a previous trip. This time we were determined to find the other further south. This of course required scooters.

Quote of the day: "These Tobin batteries last longer than my attention span."

I'm not sure what that says about the fury batteries, my ADD, or just how boring Mahukona is (I'm starting a campaign to rename it Mahucoma). I know, I know. I'm spoiled. When a good looking reef like Mahukona is boring, I'm fully aware of what bitch I am. It could be worse... I could still live in Boston.

We cruised north along the sand line and ended up at the first big ass anchor in about 80 feet 14 minutes later. With Gerard all CCR'd and me in doubles and a stage bottle I'm sure we could have scooted there faster in single tanks. Life's a drag when you've got crap hanging off of you. Either way I'm not sure I'd want to kick that far. It's an old timey fisherman's anchor with a good deal of chain on it. Someone had tied a line to it and left a water bottle float to serve as a mooring. The thing was maybe 7' high off the sand. I'm not sure why I didn't take any video of it... but I have photos.

4701988768_6b0bc68cfb.jpg

4701987566_66ef53b194.jpg

4701356451_5e38a24ae8.jpg

Another 10 or so minutes south in about 70 feet of water were two more anchors of different types. We nearly ran into one of them before seeing it. The other was a bit further north and Gerard spotted it on the way back.

4701367791_2649351edf.jpg

4702005522_678fd235db.jpg

4701998484_c24f08a1f5.jpg

Maui's Haleakala in the distance
4702014022_60e262330f.jpg

The rest of the photos can be found on flickr.

We messed around in 30 feet of water near the exit for a while until we called the dive on boredom. I want to know why I use more gas when I'm scootering.

Here's a little video (better seen in full screen) mostly of me hamming it up under water on Gerard's scooter:

[vimeo]12574871[/vimeo]​

Aloha,

-Eric

Neat find.

Ah, that explains why I've never found them. I've looked a couple of times, didn't realize they were deeper. I haven't gone beyond 50-55 feet deep at Mahukona, too much to look at. There's a few more anchors at a site down way south I've seen, unfortunately it's before the days I had a camera, so they don't really exist.

Fish and poi... one of my favorite local songs... reminds me of when I first moved here, my wife had the band play it at our wedding (reception, not the ceremony).

Damn you guys with your scooters and doubles! Do you think any of it is surface swimmable if you hike north a bit? Although I fully agree with the "MahuComa" name change, those anchors are pretty legit.

Next time you could park one car at Mahukona and the other at Kapa'a so you can just cruise north all the way.

Steve... they big one is not only deeper but far. I bet it would take 45 to an hour to kick to it.

Fish and poi... one of my favorite local songs... reminds me of when I first moved here, my wife had the band play it at our wedding (reception, not the ceremony).

I've had it in my head for a week or so... I hoped that editing the video and hearing it over and over would cure me... it worked.

Damn you guys with your scooters and doubles! Do you think any of it is surface swimmable if you hike north a bit? Although I fully agree with the "MahuComa" name change, those anchors are pretty legit.

Next time you could park one car at Mahukona and the other at Kapa'a so you can just cruise north all the way.

I think the first doable entry when you hike north is too far north along the cane road. We'll just have to find you a third scooter.

Are you going to go wait for us at Kapa'a so we know where to exit?

-Eric

Funnily enough... we met some nice folks in the parking lot of Mahukona:

They took this video of us zooming by:

Great report, Eric. The pics are great, but I can't stream Vimeo from my phone :(

Peace,
Greg

Nice video and pictures, Eric!

"Mahucoma"???? Sheeesh....... you West-Side guys are soooo spoiled :D :D

I actually like Mahukona, but just as a "once in awhile" dive; but my kids complain when I suggest diving there... now if we had five scooters to play with.... but I'd need to sell the kids and a dog or two to afford the scooters... :wink:

Best wishes.

"Mahucoma"???? Sheeesh....... you West-Side guys are soooo spoiled :D :D

Ha! I did call myself out as a bitch for even complaining about a site like mahukona. But yeah... I'm not happy unless I'm complaining.

Since vimeo wasn't working this afternoon.... I uploaded the video to youtube (and so Greg can watch it on his phone).

Aloha,

-Eric

{snip} I uploaded the video to youtube (and so Greg can watch it on his phone).

Aloha,

-Eric

Appreciate! I'll check it out at work today, I won't be that busy :D .

Peace,
Greg

Mahucoma? I actually kinda like Mahukona, but I agree much of the reef is flat with little terrain and few caves or cliffs. The entry off the pier can not be beat, a particular favorite of my wife. As I tend to photograph the little stuff, I find Mahukona as productive as many other sites along the coast. I find more stuff in close and shallow at 30ft or less here, with little to gain by heading way out.

Thanks for the info on the anchors!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom