Mahahual Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is actually of a trip report that I started in another thread here but since I sort of hijacked it :wink: I figured I would submit an overview/wrapup post seperately.

Mahahual - This is a real nice location with a nice backpacker feel and very reminiscent of the way Coz and Cancun used to be (or so I have been told). Either way, it is definitely off the beaten path in all the right ways. It is a bit of a haul to get there (see other post for details) but well worth it. The cruise ships do change things when they are in, but since there are never more than 3, they are only in M-F and a lot of the pod people stay in the port area downtown is not overwhelmed. However I would stay South of town since the places are nicer and you can really avoid the "ugly Americans"

There are not a lot of dining options in Mahahual and since the owner of the place I stayed at did the cooking we only ate out a few times. I tried Delfin for lunch and their ceviche was good. There are two Italian restaurants, we ate at the on further South (I can;t rememebr the name) and it was quite good and reasonable. Also, when we were driving to the airport at 5AM on Saturday the party was still going on on the beach! There are two small grocery stores in town to get basic supplies and supposedly a 24 hour conveneience store is coming soon.

"Resort" - I stayed at Margarita Del Sol and would highly reccomend them. The units are clean, the kitchens are great and the location is wonderful. I put resort in brackets since even though it has all the amenities, it definitely has a much more relaxed feeling.

Diving - This is where the other thread devolved very quickly so you can look for details there but I dove with Bucanero del Caribe and had a generally positive impression. I promised people I would provide contact info since they do not yet have a website and here it is
Arturo Barbabosa, bucanero_caribe@yahoo.com.mx and his cell is 982-123-2731

Overall impression - The diving was solid Caribbean but not great. Chinchorro is fantastic and almost worth the trip in itself. There was quite a bit of wind all week and although it did not prevent us from diving I think it did stir things up bit. The reefs are healthy (a good sign that not a lot of people dive there) and Chinchorro's were in fantastic shape.
I woudl reccomend Mahahual for anyone looking to have a very relaxing time and get in some good diving as well. If you want to do 4 a day this is not the place. If you want bright lights and big city this is not the place. If you want to kick back, relax, do some godo diving and go somewhere that not a lot of people even know about, then this is perfect.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Yes, a laid back "resort"...and good diving!! My hope is that it continues as it has been but a little more development will not ruin it yet....PDC/Mexican Disneyland it isn't, but a solid dive destination it surely is....Did you ever run into a POD people group on the Reef?

DC How large a group do you think the Resort could handle??, If we put Dreamtime, and Maya palms together with that one I bet we could get almost 50 divers there!!!!!
( a note of amazement as to how truly rustic it is!)

billeelou:
Yes, a laid back "resort"...and good diving!! My hope is that it continues as it has been but a little more development will not ruin it yet....PDC/Mexican Disneyland it isn't, but a solid dive destination it surely is....Did you ever run into a POD people group on the Reef?

DC How large a group do you think the Resort could handle??, If we put Dreamtime, and Maya palms together with that one I bet we could get almost 50 divers there!!!!!
( a note of amazement as to how truly rustic it is!)

Well, the place I stayed at has 45 rooms and I think the max # of poeple you could fit would be around 10-12. I never got NEAR a group of cruise divers, or any other divers for that matter, on any dive we did.

Why woudl you want a group that large anyway?

How far is it from the cruise drop off in Costa Maya? We did two dives of a ship in Costa Maya and had a great time. I wonder if it is the same area.

SoCalOffshore:
How far is it from the cruise drop off in Costa Maya? We did two dives of a ship in Costa Maya and had a great time. I wonder if it is the same area.

Ah.. one of the pod people. Yes, you were in Mahahual. I am guessing you used Dreamtime Diving.

How did you get to Mahuhual from Cancun ? Assuming you flew in from Cancun. We were going to rent a car but we are staying for 10 days and it could get a bit expensive. We will, however, probably get a car during the middle of the week to do some sightseeing. Thanx for you response in advance.

Good Viz,
George

One alternative is to take the bus from Cancun to Mahahual. Very cost effective - about 166 pesos - ~$16.00 US. ADO has recently started service to Mahahual. Before ADO it was a challenge to get there.

Fly into Cancun - go to the ground transportation and take a bus or taxi to the ADO bus station in downtown Cancun. The trip is about 4 and 1/2 hours (make stops along the way - Playa, Tulum, Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Limones).

Cancun to Mahahual leaves Cancun at 7:00 AM, 9:30 PM and 11:30 PM
Mahahual to Cancun($166) route leaves Mahahual at 8:30 AM, 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM

¡Buen viaje!

Great Trip repot DC, thanks!

I'm planning a trip to Mahahual or Xcalak on August this year, but since my girlfriend and two of my counsins don't dive, I have to ask, is there a beach that has a sandy water entrance? because from what I've seen from the pictures only the main Mahahual beach seems to have a sandy water entrance. And it seems that's were the cruiser people spend their day! What was the beach in your hotel, or in other hotels in the area?

And on to the diving part, how long is the boat trip to Chinchorro? I get seasick sometimes. And what's the minimmum divers they take to Chinchorro on a trip?

How's the offshore diving in Xcalak and Mahahual?

Thanks in advanced

PD: BTW my diving instructor just recommended me Bucanero del Caribe!!! I have his bussiness card here!

Gaviota, thanks for the info on that new bus route.

I’m surprised by the schedule, though. Leaving Cancun at 9.30 and 11.30 pm means you’re getting in Mahahual in the middle of the night. I’m guessing it’s to accomodate locals going on day trips to Cancun ??? Can you confirm that ?

Does that bus from Cancun go all the way down to Xcalak or does it stop at km 0 ?

Also, there were no ATM machines or bank whatsoever in Mahahual when I was there last year (except at the pier, which is off-limit if you’re not on a cruise ship). Is it still the case ?

Thanks for the info.
Anne-Laure

Back
Top Bottom