Magnifier, magnifier plus ring light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking out loud, and there’s sort of two (or more) different questions here. (I figure this is a safe-space for tinker brainstorming.)

Refraction is less effective underwater, so bare glass lenses are less useful than one might hope. I sometimes carry this:

IMG_0514.png

(…which, obDIY, I made from this:
)…which is handy, but not that handy and not that effective.

There are commercial assemblies
…that include an air gap to make them more effective, but they are $$$, making this a fertile DIY area.

Q1: Any thoughts on how to effectively diy something to make it more better? My best thought so far would be to take two 55mm camera macro lenses, and run a bead of superglue/rtv/?? around the rims, and then put it in a vacuum or pressure chamber to pull the glue into the threads/cracks for sealing… but I don’t feel like diy-ing a vacuum/pressure chamber.

(Q1.5: Any lenses readily available made from material that has better refractive index against water?)

Thought two:
I was looking at the magnifier this morning, and had the passing thought that it looked kinda like a ring-light. Hmm. Are there inexpensive compact depth-rated ring lights? Yes!

Q2: What does the massmind think about combining a ringlight with a magnifier? Worth the bodge, or just even-more-unwieldy?

q1 I'm sure you could, but I'm sure you'd spend a good bit more than just buying one would cost.
q1.5 No. Physics wins.
q2 Put a ringlight on one of the commercial magnifiers...yes, that is worth doing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom