magnetic slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is not building from the ground up but it will save you a few bucks.

We've all seen these magnetic slates that you can write on and then wipe clean and write on again. They run in the price range of $25.00 and up, plus shipping.

Well this idea came from an article I read on SCUBA Diving Magazine's web site a few months back. (Give credit where credit is due).

A magnadoodle works just fine, is as big or bigger and costs about $5 to $7 depending on the size you want. I get them at Wal-Mart or K-mart.

They come with a very inadequate clip that I immediately removed. Then I drilled a small hole in one corner. I put a metal key ring (stainless steel would be best) through it and attached a small telephone style spaghetti cord with a clip on one end, to attach to my BC, and there it was.

The key ring and spaghetti cord I found together in sporting goods where keys are made.

I have much less than $10 in the whole thing and it works great. I have had it on many dives and many of the people I run across in my travels have adopted the idea.

For under 10 bucks it is no big deal if I lose it and it is easily replaced.

NOTE: The "pencil" has a metal tip and needs to be well rinsed and oiled after your dive. But I have had no problems with mine so far and I am planning to make some of them for Christmas presents.

I have been thinking about mounting a regular dive slate on the reverse side to keep track of time and psi in and out, temp and the other usual stuff but have not yet tried that.

I'm not cheap, I'm poor.......there is a difference.

Make bubbles

They do work rather well and better than a regular dive slate. I got the smaller one and it fits real nice into my BC pocket. Haven't tried the regular slate idea on the back but also thought about it. I thought about using contact paper and a regular pencil. That way whenever the paper gets to messy and won't come clean you can peal and stick another.

There is another post around about this. Do a search for "magnadoodle" if you want more info

& the Magnadoodle will last for years. Slate on the back is a good idea - thanks!

Paula

diver_paula:
& the Magnadoodle will last for years. Slate on the back is a good idea - thanks!

Paula
Very glad to help

We were in the check out line of Walmart and there was a 'slate'. I tried to convince my wife it was a good idea. She laughed and thought I was joking so I dropped it before she realized I was serious.

Maybe I'll go back and get one.

DrDuktayp

The advantage of the actual mini-quest slate over the magna doodle is that the mini slate does have a cover to protect the screen The screen can get damaged with impacts in the dive bag, during the dive, etc and the cover helps prevent this. I have also found that some of the cells eventually flood over time (after a couple hundred dives) and screen replacement ends up being required.

Consequently I have replaced my mini quest's screen twice using screens out of magna doodles. It is a drop in replacement so there not much doubt who makes them.

The mini-quest also has a reversible two sided slate on the back which is worth the extra cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom