Magnehelic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I am planning on building a magnehelic. Going to buy a 0-4 inch gauge...anybody have any good ideas...photos, schematics? What materials would you recommend?

Hello,

I am planning on building a magnehelic. Going to buy a 0-4 inch gauge...anybody have any good ideas...photos, schematics? What materials would you recommend?

Just a gauge and a mouthpice... Nothing really complicated.

A magnehelic a type of gauge not a complete test facility...although there is not much else to it. A 0-4 is really not the best choice. For the most part you will be working in the 0 to 2 inch wc range so I would go no higher than 3 iwc and if it were me, I would go 2. Also, when working on regs you will be working in the +2 to -2 range so you will need 2 gauges or better yet one of the +/- 3iwc models.

Personally, I just use a manometer. Cheap, easy to build, self calibrating and impossible to distroy......although over pressurizing one can be messy......not that I have done that mind you. :) .

There is a simple test to replace the Magnehelic gauge. It's the water test.
It's mentioned here SCUBA REG MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR Excerpts

Yep. For a long time, I just used the sink. I finally broke down and bought a Magnehelic (0 to 2 inches). It is sort of nice having a number, but the sink is just as good for setting cracking pressure..

Most Magnehelics have two ports for hooking up the hose, and whether they read plus or minus pressure depends on which one you hook the hose to. So no need for a +/- model for occasional use since you can just switch the hose from one port to the other depending on what you want to read. Gets old fast in a busy repair shop, though.

Also, when working on regs you will be working in the +2 to -2 range so you will need 2 gauges or better yet one of the +/- 3iwc models.

Most Magnehelics have two ports for hooking up the hose, and whether they read plus or minus pressure depends on which one you hook the hose to. So no need for a +/- model for occasional use since you can just switch the hose from one port to the other depending on what you want to read. Gets old fast in a busy repair shop, though.

True, guess I am lazy, if I going to buy a gauge I might as well get one that requires the least amount of work on my part. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom