Magnahelic 2nd stage adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scowens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does any one have plans for making a second stage adapter for a Magnahelic?

Thanks
Steve

Does any one have plans for making a second stage adapter for a Magnahelic?

Thanks
Steve
Old mouthpiece, some clear vinyl tubing, and some RTV? If you really want the hard style one, PVC pipe heated in the oven, squished into an oval and drilled? A lot of people do that to make the mouthpiece port for gluing up homebuilt DSVs on their rebreathers.

For a while, I didn't even bother...just stuck the tube in the side of my mouth while sucking on the reg works well, and just as convenient.

Ha! And at what temperature and for how long did one bake the PVC!

LOL!

Steve

LOL!

Steve

I've used hot vegetable oil to heat plastic (Lexan) prior to shaping. Dipping the plastic in hot oil provided quick and controlled softening.

Within 10 minutes of gradually increasing the oil temp and dipping exposure times, I'd bet you'd find the right combination for the pvc pipe.

HTH.

Dave C

300 degrees F. Time depends on how big a piece you use, thickness more than length...just keep an eye on it so it doesn't turn to mush. I would recommend heating it on parchment, and not on a metal tray. Only takes a couple of minutes in a pre-heated oven.

Apparently best done in a well ventilated area, but then again, I do it so infrequently.

Another good option is to just use a simple heat gun, available at any decent hardware store, Harbor Freight, etc. It'll give you a little more control. Blow down the inside of the pipe and squish from the outside. It'll come together pretty fast.

Thanks for the replies all!

Went to Home Depot and asked for a whapping 6" of clear tubing. Ended up, the associate found some on the floor for me at no charge. Cool:14:. Bought a double barb and some smaller tubing and used this to hook up my Magnahelic. Works like a champ!!!!:) I now am ready for the Doria, WKKP, and some quarries!:lotsalove:

It's cool when a plan comes together!!!!

Thanks!

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom