Magic Island - 3-9-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got my best Oahu dive so far this year in today ... ok, it was also the only Oahu dive so far :wink:

Seriously I had a great time - met up with Brian "hamrhed45" at Magic island this evening about 5:10 pm. As he was familiar with the site (I've only fished there) he took the lead and we scootered out from the entry and around the park area getting in a nice over view of the terrain. I only know about diving here from a description from KrisB a couple years ago where he reported 5 ft vis. So when I saw we had 15 ft vis I felt rather fortunate ...

mi3.jpg

Once we got out a bit from the channel the vis opened up to 50ft or so and I had a great dive (even the murky areas were nice) it was SO good to get back in the water again.

Brian picked right up on the scooters and was looking like a veteran within moments of hitting the trigger.

mi2.jpg

As it was late in the day and overcast I only got one "critter" shot that was in focus

mi1.jpg

But there was a nice variety of reef fish. Nothing big, but I was just happy to be back in the water again...

Thanks for a great dive Brian - and I'll look forward to our next dive together :)

Aloha, Tim

That really was a great dive! vis was horable once we got in but really opened up at the far end. It is really unbleavable how much ground you can cover with a X-scooter. Would of loved to push in a little farther but with the light fading i figured it would be in the best intrests to follow the rule of thirds(returned with nearly2/3)....well that and my only light i had was crapping out (thanks for the backup kidspot) every 6 months is a good time to change the battaries, as its normal use is to check the oil level in the compressor room. Even though we got rained on once we got out it dident really matter we were already wet form a great dive.

hey wait theres no way you could have dove magic Island and had a good time. i have it on authourity that its not a nice place to dive and i quote krisb on the following.
I've dove Magic Island (the only magic there was whatever protected us from getting infected with more diseases currently known to man), Baby Barge, Angler's Reef, Turtle Canyon and Koko Craters________________________________
ok so is there like 2 magic islands or am i missing something here?

Hey Brian, your Pelican light is "On" is it suppose to be like that when you use a scooter? Looks like you guys had fun. I can't wait to get back in the water. It's been 2 months.

i used to love diving "rainbow reef" @ magic island,,, we used to call it treasure reef cause the snorkel boats would come and let their customers snorkel over us and the treasure from up above would come floating down,,,, actually the reef there is very nice with lots to see if you know the right spot

well i only been to 100 foot hole once and that was back when i was a newbie. you know how it is know everything afraid of nothing.for those sellect few that have heard that story shhhhh!!!!!
i must agree 100 foot hole is awsome.

hey wait theres no way you could have dove magic Island and had a good time. i have it on authourity that its not a nice place to dive and i quote krisb on the following.
I've dove Magic Island (the only magic there was whatever protected us from getting infected with more diseases currently known to man), Baby Barge, Angler's Reef, Turtle Canyon and Koko Craters________________________________
ok so is there like 2 magic islands or am i missing something here?

Based upon the day Kris dove it I would agree with him :wink: This was a much better day :)

Aloha, Tim

im not sure about what you mean by waikiki front. i (oh my bad thats "I") always considered any dive site east of the y.o more like daimondhead dives. and everything past the lighthouse hawaii kai sites. when i think of waikiki front sites i think of "turtles canyon,y.o . rainbow , horseshoe, and nautilus reefs, sea tiger the pipe and so on. koko crator seems to me is more hawaii kai. I love the canyons in front of waikiki they are cool but dont compare to fantasy reef. that place is crazy cool. one of the barges has a major slab that reminds me of some sort of man made foundation kind of makes me wonder if it had at one time not been underwater.and though 100 foot hole was a nice dive the (first one anyway) i m not rushing back to it infact i havent been back there since "that day"

hey tim..
the telephone pole in the first picture..
is that one of the pilings for the channel markers?
(or did you scooter all the way over to the YO/San Pedro? :wink:)

Back
Top Bottom