Madison (AL) Quarry back in the news....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the text of a letter I received from the Mayor on December 21, 2005. From the sound of this letter, it is not looking good for the reopening of the quarry.......

Dive Sports, Inc.
Mr. Phil Ellis
1207 Beltline Road
Decatur, AL 35601

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your interest in the Madison quarry property located on the South side of Madison Boulevard.

This issue was discussed during recent Madison City Council meetings both public and privice, including a meeting on December 20 where the council members agreed to put the request of proposals for recreational dive operations at the quarry on indefinite hold pending a decision by the Council to proceed.

Please be advised that the Madison City Council is considering an alternative land-swap proposal that would prohibit commercial and recreational uses of the quarry property.

If I get any further information regarding the status of this property, I will contact you directly. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Arthur S. Kirkindall
Mayor

cc: Madison City Council

Guys, I have a feeling the future of the quarry as a diving location is sealed. It appears from this letter and other conversations I have had with the Mayor's office that this property will eventually become the property of the Madison Water Board. That move would eliminate, by deed restriction, any future use of the quarry for recreational purposes. Sad, but I thought the information would be of interest. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

Phil...

any way they could land-swap with the water board and still use it as a diving facility?

The water board has been pumping water out of the quarry for years already. So far, a little "pee" hasn't hurt anyone yet and it's still cleaner water than pumping it out of the tennessee river.

mike_s:
any way they could land-swap with the water board and still use it as a diving facility?

My understanding is that part of the land-swap agreement would be that the quarry would NOT be used for recreational purposes now or in the future. Don't know all of the reasoning behind this, but I am afraid that is the way it is.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom