Madeira/Canaries/Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dri18

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm in Ireland here, trying to decide belatedly where to take my son (16) to do his open water certification over Easter. I'm a former Advanced PADI diver but haven't been for years, so while I plan on maybe a refresher course and a small number of dives I'm not going to be in there twice a day (I imagine he will be, once qualified!). Cannot find any info comparing these destinations, can anyone help?

Flights to Madeira are cheapest by quite a distance but accomodation is a lot more expensive than in Red Sea and budget is a consideration. Don't know which would have the more spectacular diving sites. (Caribbean was my former haunt and some footage I briefly viewed on Madeira looked pretty unimpressive in comparison but don't know if it was representative).

Anyone out there have any ideas on this? Much appreciated!

In short: Madeira waters will be pretty cold at Easter, Egypt will be a better destination for a newbie and for someone to refresh.
Egypt will have some nice reefs and more fish. Depending on where you will stay. Already any views? there is, indeed , south of Hurghada to Marsal Alam area. If flight permits, have a look at Dahab, a place a 16 yo (and youself) may enjoy even if not diving all the time.
Madeira is a bit more challenging, dive-wise, so imho not best for a beginner. if it is to be Madeira, then i would recommend Sentido Galomar and Manta Diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom