Made some weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most may already be aware, but maybe it did not get mentioned here. Local tire shops, or county maintenance shops DO NOT RESUSE LEAD. They will be happy to give it to you. You just have to ASK. We make all our own weights at the fire department and what we have left we give to whomever wants some (other divers). We dive the Cooper River and you need allot of weight. Allot of diver come from out of town and have no idea how much weight is really needed.

Wheel weights normally melt between 500 and 600 degrees F.

BE SAFE.

I going to make some grenade weights. I was at a surplus store not to long ago, and they had practice grenades for sale with holes drilled on the bottom. Im going to melt lead and create a battle belt.

Jorbar1551:
I going to make some grenade weights. I was at a surplus store not to long ago, and they had practice grenades for sale with holes drilled on the bottom. Im going to melt lead and create a battle belt.
ROFL!

Hope you're not planning on taking them through an airport!

wow, this is all very interesting. i never quite thought about making my own scuba stuff before. i'll maybe try this some day, it'd give me something new to learn about and occupy myself with, not to mention cut my diving-related expenditure somewhat, allowing me to spend more on actual diving. :blinking:

Azotino:
Do you know....I was thinking to do a mold just for the pouche (integrated weight)

You might want to get empty weight bags and use lead shot for that. I think LP sells the bags. Some people sew their own. Use various sizes of shot mixed in each bag and you will get a smaller package size when complete.

Be careful when heating lead. I would NOT use a torch on lead. The quick heating of the lead can cause spurts of particulate lead to become airborne or land on surfaces that you might not be aware of. Also for lead paint removal, most states do not allow heating elements such as heat guns or irons that go above 1000 – 1100 degrees Fahrenheit to be used. Most torches get much hotter that this (Mapp gas and Acetylene can both be above 5000 degrees). The melting temperature for lead is around 653 degrees Fahrenheit, so I would recommend slowly heating it in a heavy pot, using a filtered respirator, OUTDOORS, in a well ventilated area, and on top of a disposable surface (you don’t want the do this where rain run-off enters soil or groundwater that your kids or pets use).

Someone made a comment about this gives them no worries about dropping weights. I also would not drop weights unless you really need to. The constant water flow over the surface of lead can cause it to enter the ecosystem that many of us get fish and good food to eat from. Below is a link to an EPA site about lead.

I don’t mean to be a Nervous Nelly about this. The project actually sound like fun and I would do it if I used solid weights, just be careful. If you ever met someone that has numerous health issues including kidney failure and nerve damage due to elevated lead levels, you would realize the damage this can cause.

. http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/lead.html

I made my weights last summer and have been promising myself I would post them - now seems like an appropriate time. First of all, believe it or not, we use a tea pot, from WalMart. Have melted many pounds of lead in it without a problem. Second, I made my weights to fit my BC integrated weight pockets. The 4 pounders fit in the sides, can actually fit 3 in each pocket, and the 2 pounders are for the back pockets. I also have some small ingot shaped 1 pounders also. They are sized to fit the pocket so there is no wasted room.

If there is any interest I can find my photos of the set up for you and give more details.

4-pounder-edge.jpg

4-pounder-top.jpg

2-pounder.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom