Macro Mate 2x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariozi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have, or know where can I find, underwater test images showing the real amplification factor of a Macro Mate 2x?

My understanding is that, as a diopter it doesn't really amplify, but allows you to focus closer with an existing lens. In my experience, the focal distance and depth of field will vary with the lens. I use a .2 diopter with my 18-200 lens that allows me to focus within 8 inches of the lens at 200mm. This allows a substantial "amplification", but the depth of field becomes less than an inch, making for a very touchy focus. Backscatter rates the macro mate at 3:2 using a 105 micro, I believe. I have little reason to doubt that, though I haven't tried it. The sample images in their gallery make it look quite reasonable. I think the quality of the image is more important than the actual increase in image size, as you can gain that through cropping. The main advantage would be less water column between camera and image, giving you the clarity of proximity of perhaps a 60mm micro with the greater magnification of the 105 at that distance. I think the test would be to shoot the 105 at the focal distance obtained with the diopter and check the size of the image compared to the normal minimum focal distance, regardless of whether it is in focus. So the question might be, "what is the minimum focus distance of the Nikkor micro 105mm lens with the macro mate installed?"

To answer Marcelo's question, I am in the process of putting together some pics UW with various lenses and adapters and such. Ryan's numbers are a great start but the actual apparent magnification you can get depends of course on the lens and the port. If the front of the lens is a long ways from the port glass, you don't realize as much benefit as you might think. Also if you are shooting the 60 macro lens you don't gain much at all while the 105 is better and the 150 better still.
Bill

Have one think it is great. Rarely take it off my flat port. Have shot it with 105mm+Nikon 1.4 tele+MacroMate. Some samples in the Macro Gallery at our site. Got mine through Backscatter. Here are a few samples. Tried to find ones that I did not crop or very little. PS this does make your rig fairly front heavy I use a Stix buoyancy ring and strobe arms.

These shots are not with the tele converter.
4142274636_352e73f76d_o.jpg

This guy was really tiny
3845778079_d7a55acde0_o.jpg

4259634994_f56861a485_o.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom