MacDive Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MbWaterdog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive with a pretty simple computer, the Suunto Zoop. I would like to purchase the cable and start storing my dives on my Macbook. A quick google search has told me that MacDive will allow me to use my dive computer on my Apple Macbook. Is anyone familiar with this program? A big question of mine is will I be able to transfer all of my dives that I have been logging in Excel into the MacDive application? I would hate for the program to log my next dive as "Dive 1"...:confused:

I have MacDive and download my computer with it. I do not know if the excel spreadsheet you are talking about can be imported. Maybe someone else can answer that. I like MacDive and find that it does a great job of storing my dives and graphic presentation of my dive profile and other information. It also took me a while to get used to doing things the Mac way since this is my first Mac since the Apple 2C I had in the 80's. I do know that I have gone back and entered the information from my paper logbook into MacDive. You can log the dives as any number you assign to them. Good luck, I am sure you will like using MacDive.

Hello MW,

I use mac Dive and it works for me. As far as i can tell you can add a dive manula but not raw data. you can edit the raw data of an existing dive and duplicate an existing dive but it don't look like you can import a csv or xls file. you might ask on the support site.

Link

Subsurface might be worth taking a look at. It's free, made by Linus Torvalds, supports your computer, and works on many operating systems (OSX included). It does support importing from a number of formats:

There are some xslt documents included with it that you could try and manipulate to import from your excel spreadsheets by exporting to XML from excel. That might not be real reasonable if you're not a techie, though.

Importing Divelogs from other Software
Subsurface will import divelogs from a couple of other log software. We support currently XML exports from DivingLog, divelogs.de and Suunto DiveManager. Native format of JDiveLog and MacDive are imported as well.

When importing dives subsurface tries to detect multiple records for the same dive and merges the information as best as it can. So as long as there are no time zone issues (or other reasons that would cause the beginning time of the dives to be substantially different) subsurface will not create duplicate entries.

Downloads | Subsurface

I use MacDive for logging all my dives. It has some quirks but overall it's pretty good. I don't think it will import Excel format directly, but it does import UDDF. UDDF is an ascii dive data format, so if you can massage your data into this format, you can import it. Now, unless you can do a little programming, this might be as much work as re-entering all your dives directly into MacDive. For example I wrote a little app to convert from the format of a computer that MacDive didn't recognize into UDDF and was able to import all the data including the dive profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom