Mabul Water Bungalows vs. Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most of the diving at Sipadan and Mabul is pretty shallow, 70-80 ft max, usually more like 50-60 ft, so you really dont need nitrox to get in 4 dives per day.
Yes, even though I would say the first morning dive on Sipadan tends to reach the 100ft/30m depth (even the 130ft/40m mark for us with a few experienced divers, as we were looking for the occasional hammerhead), you can manage to stay out of the deco range using air only. The most deco time I had was 10mn, but that was my bad as I am using a camera I often tend to stretch my time and depth below.

As said, don't worry about your Mabul days, since there's nowhere deeper than 70ft and you usually end up the day on 40ft deep reefs.

As you will certainly switch from Sipadan to Mabul every two days or so, nitrox is not critical at all.

It seems money is not a valid measure for happiness.
Probably the most sensible sentence that has ever been written on this board. :)

Thanks for the info mcliffy2 and gee13!

Mcliffy, concerning the nitrox and shallow diving, I've heard that you don't need nitrox for shallower dives before. The first, and still only place, I've dived (except OW checkout) was the Great Barrier Reef and we were diving in relatively shallow waters - I did max 65 feet. The people there said there was no need for nitrox. However, when taking the nitrox class, instructors pointed out that reducing your nitrogen load was just better for safety in general. I know nitrox has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it seems to me it would still be helpful for shallow depths. I am starting to pick up on the sentiment that you don't have to dive with nitrox everytime just because you've taken the class.

I've only stayed at Kapalai out of the above mentioned resorts.
It was heaven in every regard. The rooms and views are to die for. The food was really good and there was tons of it. The staff were professional yet relaxed. Try to get with divemaster George if you go. He's the best divemaster I've had out of the 4 operators I've been to Sipadan with.

I am starting to pick up on the sentiment that you don't have to dive with nitrox everytime just because you've taken the class.
yes, I would say Nitrox would be mandatory when you are on a liveabaoard or if you repeatedly dive in the 20/25m area dive after dive, day after day.
In Sipadan, usually your stay is less than 5 day and the shallow Mabul dive days help you stay in a reasonable nitrogen curve.

Besides that Nitrox is expensive in Mabul.

Thanks for the info mcliffy2 and gee13!

Mcliffy, concerning the nitrox and shallow diving, I've heard that you don't need nitrox for shallower dives before. The first, and still only place, I've dived (except OW checkout) was the Great Barrier Reef and we were diving in relatively shallow waters - I did max 65 feet. The people there said there was no need for nitrox. However, when taking the nitrox class, instructors pointed out that reducing your nitrogen load was just better for safety in general. I know nitrox has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it seems to me it would still be helpful for shallow depths. I am starting to pick up on the sentiment that you don't have to dive with nitrox everytime just because you've taken the class.

I think this is a correct assessment...while I do like having nitrox (I just feel a bit fresher after using it, one of those things that is difficult to explain), it is not a must unless you need it for repetitive dives.

Stay on Mabul, hands-down.
More to do and more culture-esque.
Although Kapalai is gorgeous, there is not much to do there except for activities on the resort since there not a real island.
You can always request to dive at Kapalai if you feel the urge to explore it while staying on Mabul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom