M26 and Regulator Shopping: HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

This is a question for my fellow EU based divers.

I'm trying to understand what the practical implications of the M26 are, when regulator shopping.

Back when I did my EANx course, the instructor demonstrated the different threads, so I have a basic understanding of the thread sizing being different and why. But moving forward, I've done dives with normal compressed air as well as EANx the same day, didn't need to do anything; pop the reg/s off one cylinder and onto the next, with disregard to the gas mix. I dive primarily in Austria and Switzerland year round, and have dived exclusively in rentals, so I never had to figure this out. It didn't look like there WOULD be an issue.

But now we're investing in our own regs (Apeks MTX RC, if you're curious!) and there it is, that infamous warning on EANx compatibility "but only outside the EU" as EANx regulators require an M26 thread in the EU. Mkay...

What is the reality of the situation though? What are my options? Here's what my sad little conclusions were, so far:

Option A. Buy different first stages for air vs. EANx. Does this even work? If so, it would be 4 first stages per person (H valves, two independent first and second stages required half the year; we're cold/ice divers). I'll just wipe my tears with the receipts then use them to plug the hole in my wallet or something.

Option B. Buy adapters/fittings. Not sure introducing another failure point is wise, though. Thoughts?

Secret Option C. None of it means anything in reality, and most places around Europe use the standard thread anyway?

Am I missing something? I'm not sure I can make sense of it at the moment. Attempting to compare with other regs I was considering (ScubaPro MK25 Evo, for example) didn't help; same kind of "not particularly informative, we're just covering our derrieres here" phrasing.

Kindly note that my primary concern is local compatibility, so I am asking about the ability to use my regs around at home and around Europe. What are the practical implications in reality? First hand experience is extremely valuable and would be deeply appreciated.

Secondary to that, I would like to understand the implications for travel as well, for example The Caribbean (Diving tropical water for the first time in 2025!) so wherever you're located, insights on how it could impact a diver like me would also be appreciated.

Secret Option C. None of it means anything in reality, and most places around Europe use the standard thread anyway?

If you search, there are a number of threads discussing this issue on SB.

Unless you are going to be using high levels of O2 (above 40% ~ shallow dives / deco regulator), almost everywhere uses standard threads for Nitrox.

The Apeks MTX RC will not give you any real world performance improvement over DS4/DST & XTX50 regulators. Looks cool for a deeper dent in your bank account though.

If you search, there are a number of threads discussing this issue on SB.

Unless you are going to be using high levels of O2 (above 40% ~ shallow dives / deco regulator), almost everywhere uses standard threads for Nitrox.

The Apeks MTX RC will not give you any real world performance improvement over DS4/DST & XTX50 regulators. Looks cool for a deeper dent in your bank account though.
I have been trying to go through the different threads for a while already, but haven't found anything concretely stating what's actually used where. Most of the threads are heavy on opinions as opposed statements of practical application, and with many threads on the topic being quite old, I can't find current information on adoption by locale within the EU or what it means for travel outside the EU. If there is a specific thread that you can think of, I would be grateful for the link. It's a needle in a haystack.

I could ask at my LDS, but I'm also a bit tired of getting lectured on how "women prefer warm water with bright fish" and attempts at selling me things I categorically do not need, while ignoring my questions on the things I specifically wish to pursue or refusing to assist on things that don't fully "line up" the owner's ideas. Hence trying to find information here.

While it wasn't initially my question, I appreciate the insight on the specific regulator; can I ask you to elaborate?

Apeks choices were indeed between XTX and MTX. Price isn't a deal breaker, performance and serviceability are, hence opting for Apeks. But for reference, I regularly dive waters around freezing temperature in winter, and air temperature before getting into the water or at the surface drops below −10C with a substantial windchill. I travel north once or twice per winter (Scandinavia, Faroe, Iceland) where it's even colder. MTX was something I heard a lot of raving about and personally experienced, so I am under the impression it delivers a better impression.

At this time, we have no plans to go into tech or full cave diving, so it's the different dive profiles down to 40 meters, and the cold that need to be primarily catered to.

To quote myself:

Just to allow a European perspective: nobody in Europe apart from the French seem to bother with M26, in fact I've not even seen a M26 regulator.
French cave country also seem to ignore the same - thus I believe this is a subject mainly for Brussels🤭.

Now if the French should win against better knowledge, you simply purchase conversion kits for your regs.

I thought it was the bureaucracy loving Germans that were all about M26? but yea, the rule is dumb and just get an adapter as needed

@Umuntu the mtx-rc has increased freeze resistance if you do a lot of ice diving over the standard xtx

To quote myself:

Just to allow a European perspective: nobody in Europe apart from the French seem to bother with M26, in fact I've not even seen a M26 regulator.
French cave country also seem to ignore the same - thus I believe this is a subject mainly for Brussels🤭.

Now if the French should win against better knowledge, you simply purchase conversion kits for your regs.

@Alekseolsen put it in a nutshell : only my poor homeland is using the damned M26 contraption, and only for mixes above 40% O2.

My answer to your question : buy whatever regulator you like and dive it air or nitrox, depending on what's available and/or most convenient for the dive.

If you ever need a reg for deco with mixes above 40% O2, buy a specific one with a regular fitting and adapter if you ever want to use it in France.

@Alekseolsen put it in a nutshell : only my poor homeland is using the damned M26 contraption, and only for mixes above 40% O2.

My answer to your question : buy whatever regulator you like and dive it air or nitrox, depending on what's available and/or most convenient for the dive.

If you ever need a reg for deco with mixes above 40% O2, buy a specific one with a regular fitting and adapter if you ever want to use it in France.
Merci beaucoup!!!

Thank you for all the replies; this has really made the decision easy!

Merci beaucoup!!!

Thank you for all the replies; this has really made the decision easy
Kein Problem ! :wink:

Btw, any nice places to dive in Austria ?

Forget about M26 and just get a normal regulator...

DST (=XTX) (or DS4) are the most popular choices for Apeks regulators. MTX has very little advantages, it is just more heavy and costly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom