M1 Carbine value ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is my story,
I want a new reg set up of a Scubapro MK17 / G250V, a friend of mine wants one of my M1 carbines.
What is the price range for M1 carbines ?
I have gone on Guns America, and Gun Broker to get a true value on the gun.
The gun is in good condition, with a new/old stock (stock is mil issue that was never used).
Gun is an "inland" made m1 carbine.
Thanks, Jim B

Recent prices on M1 carbines have been quite high I'd say a good condition would be worth at minimum $400 and a better condition piece could be up to double that.

Be sure to check at the bookstore ( yes.... treat it like a library) and find the gun value books to look up the real value . Can you check at local gun shows? Better yet check on a gun collectors site.

I say be careful when you trade an appreciating asset ( M-1's have been generating new interest lately) for a depreciating one.

Problem is that I live in South Florida and Scuba Pro equipment is common and cheap. I would stay with the M-1.

Generally speaking if you sell something like an M1 Carbine for a scuba reg, you will regret it later.

Inland M1's are commonly encountered. From a collector standpoint, much of the value depends on how correct it is. A new mil spec replacement stock may not totally kill the value of a late issue Inland carbine - if the stock is correct for a late WWII or Korean war Carbine. However, for an early Inland with otherwise all correct early carbine features, it would impact the value. You do lose the cartouches with a new replacement stock, but they often disapeared in service anyway, particularly on weapons that spent lots of time in the company area and were excessively polished and refinsihed.

Most M1 Carbines saw at least one arsenal rebuild and in the process lost early features like early style sights, thin barrel bands, barrel bands with no bayonet lug, single rivet hand guards, push button safeties, flat top bolts, etc. In addition, many were exported to friendly nations as military assistance and then re-imported for sale to civilians. Since about 1990 or so, they have been rerquired to be stamped with the importer's name which lowers value. Some importers stamp the barrel where it is visible, others stamp it under the handguard which reduces the impact on the value of the carbine.

Consequently an early all correct WWII issue carbine with no import marks can bring a lot of money - maybe $1500.

At the other extreme of desireable but for different reasons, a reparkerized carbine with later M2 parts and a new pot belly M2 stock in minty rebuilt condition can still bring $500-$700.

The low end of the scale would be a well used M1 Carbine re-imported from Korea with not much original finish, a beat up ratty stock with oil soaked stock, non matching handguard and a rough bore. It would still bring $150-$200.

I wouldn't trade my Saginaw M1 carbine for ANY scuba equipment.

I got my M1 carbine at a gun shop in Ft. Hood, paid about $250 for it. I've been to a couple gun shows here in Tampa and they had M1 carbines prices at $400 - $600. You might want to have a professional look at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom